Where Is The Internet Police?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by redAPPLE, Aug 13, 2008.

1. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

hi guys.

got a question for you all.

say, i stumble upon a website with innapropriate content. who do i need to contact so the site gets shut down or at least edited (to include warnings etc.)?

or let us say, somebody took my picture and then i find that picture in a website (which i do not support). if the site owner does not remove the picture , with whom could it talk to to change this?

2. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Probably asleep under a bridge on the "Information Highway" with an empty box of doughnuts on the dash?

Your best bet is to "complain" to the firm hosting the site…

3. Cobol to Java macrumors newbie

Cobol to Java

Good question

That's a really good question.

It's really hard to determine the right agency or company to tap when copyright or intellectual property rights of individual users are concerned, unless you run a multi-billion company, or you are the son or daughter of a celebrity, royalty or politician. Sensationalizing a copyright issue (for the people mentioned above) often does the job better than tapping a company to drive the point for you. The fear of getting sued (at hundreds of millions of dollars) by celebrities, is a good motivation.

It's really hard to run after those people infringing on your rights online (unless both you and the person, using your images/videos, are from the same state or country) . The most people would do is create a negative buzz about the company, in the hope of them removing your image on their website. A DoS attack probably can do the same thing (although I wouldn't recommend that)

Of course there are channels like online IP offices (like WIPO) that can probably help you in these cases. Google and other search engines can probably also help you, especially when the image or video is hosted on one of their servers/websites.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Do a whois on the site. If it's http://www.annoyingredapplepix.com, then just open Terminal end enter "whois annoyingredapplepix.com". It'll return the Registrant, Owner, and host information. Major hosts tytpically have a "abuse@" address, or you can go to the hosting main site and locate the contact info.

5. redAPPLE thread starter macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

the site what i saw, has inappropriate content. it should state, "this is an adult site" or "warning: above 18 content coming".

but the funny thing is, it is not an adult site.

and i don't believe it was hacked.

and the site is not based in the states.

6. redAPPLE thread starter macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

how do you find out which firm is hosting the site? what if the site owner is hosting the site?

7. Queso macrumors G4

In answer to your first question, read this post. If the site owner is hosting the site you report it to their ISP.

Be aware though that the Internet isn't just there for you, me or any other one person in the world. What you deem inappropriate may not actually be to the hosting company.

8. jv17 macrumors member

search it in google..i always do that..im afraid to have rumors though..

9. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

honestly, the best thing you can do is to not go there anymore i you find the content offensive. unless the site is hosting illegal content then there probably isn't a whole lot you can do to them.

10. redAPPLE thread starter macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

well i was thinking of something like the better business bureau, but for internet sites.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There are different kinds of "internet police" issues that have different resolution paths, also. If someone is doing something that doesn't violate criminal law, your recourse would be just like it is anywhere else, e.g. to challenge them through the civil law system. And you can work your way up towards any identifiable entity if necessary, although obviously if Mr. Little Guy sues AOL over some website with an obnoxious picture of himself, then Mr. Little Guy better have connections to deep pockets.

If criminal acts are involved, you do have the police and the FBI at your disposal... that is their job. Sometimes it gets clouded by overseas service providers and companies, but they are there to protect you from crime.

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I started to think about Internet Police and that would actually be a pretty good idea. Hire Hackers and pretty much police the Internet. Make SPAM, parking sites, phishing sites illegal. And attack them with their elite hacking skills :cool:

13. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Ever heard of a webmaster? Talk to them.