Where is the iPad mini 5?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iClone, Oct 31, 2016.

1. iClone macrumors regular

i was expecting it to be updated, what's the deal?

2. Mercaptan macrumors regular

The update was all about laptops and Apple TV. Pretty typical that they focus on a few things.

3. iClone thread starter macrumors regular

It was the worst keynote I have have ever watched imo.

Was really hoping for more.

4. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

5. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

It's rumored for the Mini to be updated for the March 2017 Keynote. Macrumors reported this a few weeks back.

6. pika2000 macrumors 68040

I am waiting for a new mini as well, but why would you be hoping for an update of iPad from an obvious Mac-centric keynote?

7. Mr_Killjoy Suspended

Mr_Killjoy

Probably March/April event. I'm betting Mini 5 and a larger consumer ipad, new watch bands (what we all want most), and some more Mac updates.

8. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

horses for courses i suppose. it was pretty much expected to be a mac keynote. and just because they dont reveal what you personally want it's a crappy presentation? i dont want a mac but found the keynote most interesting.

i'd stay in touch and more on the ball in the future as not to be disappointed. you'll get a better idea of what to expect then. nobody else really expected an ipad update, even if we hoped for one.

9. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

No rumours or leaks suggested that there would be new iPads at the last event. Everything says March or April, and it's not certain if that will include a new 7.9" iPad. iPad updates aren't always as predictable as iPhone ones.

10. Mercaptan macrumors regular

Exactly. I'm pretty sure the people who were dying for a laptop update were thrilled. Though I'm sure everyone's got something to complain about with the price bump and lack of new MacBooks.

11. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I wouldn't be surprised to see it updated with Pencil support and I wouldn't be surprised to see it discontinued.

Apple has never been consistent with this product.

12. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

and yet according to yesterday's reports the air and mini still trump in ipad sales over the Pros. I cant see Apple discontinuing a line of revenue like this. and yet if thats the case maybe turning it into a more 'up market' Pro will be it's demise.

13. bufffilm, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Correct.

I could see Apple adding the pencil to the Mini...so there could be a Pro Mini next year. Or they don't.

One of my nieces got a Mini4 last Sept and really likes it. She's a sophomore in college.

Really up to Apple.

14. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

I could see it not getting an update, but I doubt that the iPad Mini will be outright discontinued in the foreseeable future. My understanding is that the Mini 2 and 4 actually sold more than the other iPad models last holiday season, and Apple tends to let things die more slowly unless they have something specific to replace it with. The iPad Touch is still around even though it receives little attention. The Macbook Air has been ignored for a while now but it is still part of the Mac lineup.

15. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

I am looking forward to the iPad Pro 7.9. It would fill one hell of a hole for my at work computing, where carrying around the 12.9 is a pain in the .... =)

16. arefbe macrumors regular

arefbe

It's in "the Pipeline".;)

17. jmpriestjr macrumors newbie

IMO apple has become HP circa 2012. They have lost their way and will be the new KODAK.

18. Danoc macrumors 6502

Danoc

That's what I was thinking but I don't really see how they can make an iPad Air 3 that is different than an iPad Pro 9.7...

19. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

And Apple guys left the keynote 30 minutes early. HAHAH

20. pika2000 macrumors 68040

Do you even know why Kodak became what they are today? Kodak was ignoring the progress of digital technology since they were too comfortable doing their film business.
    If Apple kept focusing on desktops and laptops like how you guys wanted them to be, then yes, Apple will become the new Kodak.
    But that's not the Apple today now is it. Apple now has arguably the most powerful and efficient mobile SoC. Not only that, Apple now has a slew of custom chips, from the S2, W1, to T1. And behind the scenes, there is Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple bolstering online collaboration for iWorks, etc.

The Apple you want is the old HP/Kodak, the company that cannot evolve beyond their old business of making desktops/laptops, but too bad for you, Apple is changing.