Where is the iphone Leopard OS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gotzero, Oct 28, 2007.

1. gotzero macrumors 68040

I was kind of hoping for some change in line with the Leopard upgrade... I got the wonderful gift of gmail imap support this week, but that was hardly apple's doing...

I would like some really simple things, like a new mail symbol on the status bar, etc.

I guess I am wondering if we will see an interface change/added features due to the new OS.

2. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

Not so soon unfortunately, may be in a few months.

3. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i assume there will be both an iphone / itunes and macos update simultaneously in a few weeks (after the rush of bug fixes) that will give us some new features etc, o point apparently itunes in leopard still has the old stype 'traffic lights' indication a due update.

4. calvy macrumors 65816

the iPhone syncs with iTunes, not Mac OS X. You are sorely wrong to have expected any update just because Leopard was coming out. Unless you hear of the iTunes version number bumping up, don't expect anything new from your iPhone. Period.

Having said that, I lost my one free ringtone I had with my upgrade to Leopard. I had held off updating iTunes in Tiger, but upgrading to Leopard didn't give me an option. So I may have to jump through hoops now if I want that ringtone back.

5. gotzero thread starter macrumors 68040

I know it updates as itunes does, I just kind of figured there would be a "WOW! Look what you can do with iphone and Leopard!?!?!" feature.

They keep telling us that it is running a version of OSX, so I could see at least some kind of change to the iphone, even if it has little to do with Leopard itself.

In the end I am just getting impatient waiting for some light productivity features. I keep going back and forth with the idea of switching back to blackberry, and would like to see some steps in the right direction. I am sure the SDK will save me...

6. Jocko macrumors member

LOL. Um maybe he was hoping for an iTunes update?

7. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

The iPhone doesn't run MacOSX, it runs Mobile OSX.

That said I expect a firmware update to take advantage of some Leopard features. Maybe in time for the European launch.

8. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

I think that the features list that came out about leopard said something about notes syncing with the iPhone... So thinking there would be an update isnt as crazy as youve made it out to be...

9. calvy macrumors 65816

Just because you think that doesn't make it true. I don't recall ever hearing such. The fact that Mail.app has some Notes features now does kind of indicate that an ITUNES update is coming that may take advantage of these features. But again, unless ITUNES is receiving an update, DO NOT expect changes on your iPhone. Not sure why you people can't get that through your heads.

Do you expect Vista SP1 to add more features to the iPhone too?

10. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Just because it Syncs with iTunes doesn't mean a new version of itunes will provide new features or updates ... i got 1.1.1 without getting a new version of itunes.... quit being a jerk

11. artalliance macrumors 6502

There was a description on the offical Apple OS X site about note syncing with the iphone, but Apple removed that notion a week or so before the Leopard release.

Feature wasn't ready, I guess.

12. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

Just curious... why would you want a new mail symbol in the status bar? If you are on the home screen it clearly shows you if you have mail and if you are doing anything else with your phone and you get a new mail it will alert you with a new mail sound, a vibration, or both. That just seems kind of pointless IMO.

As far as an update goes, I am with most people here. I think Apple is going to wait at least 5-10 days after the Leopard release before doing any iPhone update. Based on the history of iPhone software updates it would seem that we are due for an update within the next few days since it has now been over a month since the update to 1.1.1. Many people think there will be the international keyboard update coming before the launch of the UK iPhone and that is a reasonable guess. I don't know that there will be much in the next update, maybe the ability to sync notes, some bug fixes, and an international keyboard. Either way I think we will see one by the middle of next week.

13. cloudnine macrumors 6502a

cloudnine

Don't be a dick.

14. calvy macrumors 65816

I was trying my best, but no one understood otherwise.

15. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

bull .... just cause you don't recall doesn't mean its not true... :rolleyes: