Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a5sk4s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
This document is referenced in several places, but I can't locate it. Does it exist?

The reason I'm asking is that I experience odd behaviors on the simulator - I do not have an iphone to compare it with.

(1) There rotate left/right menu seems to never rotate into PortraitUpsideDown, but rather switch back to Portrait (i.e., starting from either LandscapeLeft or LandscapeRight either left or right end up in Portrait). Does anybody else experience that?

(2) Also, even though I meticulously followed the "start in landscape mode" instructions and other forum postings by using the Info.plist setting as well as the affine transform to rotate the interface, the simulator flips back to Portrait after adding a view via
Code:
ivController = [[ImgViewController alloc] initWithNibName:@"ImgView" 
    bundle:[NSBundle mainBundle]];
[window addSubview:[ivController view]];
leaving my interface in Landscape mode. I would be curious how to fix this.

(3) Finally, when switching to Landscape, a 20 pixel area is unsensitive to touch events. This is either on the right (when rotating right) or left (when rotating left), depending on the orientation. I suspect that it has to do with the Status Bar. The View was done in IB using UIView and UIImageView. How can I correct this issue?

Also is there a list of known simulator bugs anywhere?

Thanks for any hints and insights.

SqueegyX

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
(1) There rotate left/right menu seems to never rotate into PortraitUpsideDown, but rather switch back to Portrait (i.e., starting from either LandscapeLeft or LandscapeRight either left or right end up in Portrait). Does anybody else experience that?

As far as I know, the simulator wont go into upside down mode ever. Surely you can do what you need in portrait mode for now? Some things you need a real device for. The simulator can't do everything the device can.

(2) Also, even though I meticulously followed the "start in landscape mode" instructions and other forum postings by using the Info.plist setting as well as the affine transform to rotate the interface, the simulator flips back to Portrait after adding a view via
Code:
ivController = [[ImgViewController alloc] initWithNibName:@"ImgView" 
    bundle:[NSBundle mainBundle]];
[window addSubview:[ivController view]];
leaving my interface in Landscape mode. I would be curious how to fix this.

Yes, a simulator issue that doesn't have any bearing on the actual device. I just CMD-left arrow everytime I start my landscape app in the simulator.

(3) Finally, when switching to Landscape, a 20 pixel area is unsensitive to touch events. This is either on the right (when rotating right) or left (when rotating left), depending on the orientation. I suspect that it has to do with the Status Bar. The View was done in IB using UIView and UIImageView. How can I correct this issue?

Yes, that sounds like the status bar. If you dont want it shown, you have to hide it with a snippet like this in applicationDidFinishLaunching

Code:
[[UIApplication sharedApplication] setStatusBarHidden:YES];

Also make sure you are returning the proper boolean value from the shouldAutorotateToInterfaceOrientation: method in your view controllers.

a5sk4s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Yes, that sounds like the status bar. If you dont want it shown, you have to hide it with a snippet like this in applicationDidFinishLaunching

To be perfectly clear, the insensitive area is not where the status bar is, but where it would be if it hadn't been rotated into landscape mode, so the only reason for hiding the status bar would be as a work-around for that issue.

Thanks for answering my questions.

SqueegyX

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
To be perfectly clear, the insensitive area is not where the status bar is, but where it would be if it hadn't been rotated into landscape mode, so the only reason for hiding the status bar would be as a work-around for that issue.

Thanks for answering my questions.

Maybe your shouldRotateToInterfaceOrientation isn't returning the right values. If it is, it should automatically update the status bar and views accordingly.

Delirium39

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008

This is a known bug in the simulator, and does not happen on the phone.

a5sk4s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
This is a known bug in the simulator, and does not happen on the phone.

... which is a great segue into asking again:

Is there a list of known simulator bugs anywhere? It certainly would help to have it accessible somewhere. After struggling with 2 known bugs, I wonder which other ones I should know.

And what about the iPhone Simulator Programming Guide? Does it exist? References such as "To learn more about the iPhone Simulator environment, see iPhone Simulator Programming Guide." make me curious.

Delirium39

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
... which is a great segue into asking again:

Is there a list of known simulator bugs anywhere? It certainly would help to have it accessible somewhere. After struggling with 2 known bugs, I wonder which other ones I should know.

And what about the iPhone Simulator Programming Guide? Does it exist? References such as "To learn more about the iPhone Simulator environment, see iPhone Simulator Programming Guide." make me curious.

I only knew about the bug because I ran into it, and searched forums about it, and finally reported it to Apple, who told me it was a known issue. I don't know of any single list of bugs, nor a simulator programming guide. I've always considered the simulator a poor substitute for the device, but it is useful for quick checking of changes to code, but not something to be relied on for performance/usability testing of the app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.