Where is the IR receiver located on the box?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by sofakng, Dec 11, 2015.

1. sofakng macrumors regular

I'd like to stick an IR emitter onto the Apple TV (2015) but I can't find the exact spot where the IR receiver is located.

Does anybody know where it is?

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

3. sofakng thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I was looking at the teardown too but I couldn't find it :(

4. bluespark macrumors 65816

I don't know the answer, but I taped my emitter to the cabinet a couple of inches in front of the ATV and pointed toward it. It works fine.

5. MacFanBoi macrumors regular

The new apple tv uses bluetooth connection for the remote. The reason the remote has a IR is so it can control tv's and amps that don't work with hdmi control.

6. dnjmarlboro macrumors member

Of course the remote uses bluetooth. But the Apple TV has got a ir receiver too....
    It's located nearly at the same place as the Apple TV 3. Not directly in the middle, just a little bit to the right.

7. thisismyusername macrumors member

It shouldn't be too hard to find it via trial and error. That's how I found out where to stick the IR emitters on my Apple TV 3 and my receiver.

8. Rigby macrumors 601

If it's anything like the older models, the whole case is IR-transparent. Mounting the IR blaster anywhere above or in front of the ATV should work.

9. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I'm looking for this too. I'm trying trial and error, but the problem is that it works intermittently.

On the ATV3 case I actually stuck it on toward the left, which is the wrong place, but it worked 100% anyway. On the ATV4 I'm having a rough time finding a good spot.

I can't find the location of the IR receiver in any picture I've seen so far on the Internet.

10. chuyn macrumors 6502

https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/HBT3sOuI2q5OSFJs
    In this photo, the two side by side screw holes at the bottom of the image... the IR receiver is in front of (below, in the image) the left screw hole. The small white horizontal rectangular chip to the right of that is the LED on the front of the Apple TV.

11. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Awesome, thanks! I've tried the left and the center top, but not the right yet, and it looks like it's on the right.

12. Kyles3399 macrumors newbie

13. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Isn't that what an IR Blaster is for? So you don't have to mount the IR Repeater to the actual device in front of the IR receptor?