Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sofakng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
I'd like to stick an IR emitter onto the Apple TV (2015) but I can't find the exact spot where the IR receiver is located.

Does anybody know where it is?

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I don't know the answer, but I taped my emitter to the cabinet a couple of inches in front of the ATV and pointed toward it. It works fine.

dnjmarlboro

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
The new apple tv uses bluetooth connection for the remote. The reason the remote has a IR is so it can control tv's and amps that don't work with hdmi control.

Of course the remote uses bluetooth. But the Apple TV has got a ir receiver too....
It's located nearly at the same place as the Apple TV 3. Not directly in the middle, just a little bit to the right.

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
I'd like to stick an IR emitter onto the Apple TV (2015) but I can't find the exact spot where the IR receiver is located.

It shouldn't be too hard to find it via trial and error. That's how I found out where to stick the IR emitters on my Apple TV 3 and my receiver.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
If it's anything like the older models, the whole case is IR-transparent. Mounting the IR blaster anywhere above or in front of the ATV should work.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I'm looking for this too. I'm trying trial and error, but the problem is that it works intermittently.

On the ATV3 case I actually stuck it on toward the left, which is the wrong place, but it worked 100% anyway. On the ATV4 I'm having a rough time finding a good spot.

I can't find the location of the IR receiver in any picture I've seen so far on the Internet.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Awesome, thanks! I've tried the left and the center top, but not the right yet, and it looks like it's on the right.

appleCakes

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2015
California, USA
Does anyone know where the IR receiver is for the Apple TV 4K 3rd generation. Note that box size and shape have changed compared to 1st and 2nd gen.

Last edited:

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
@Kyles3399

MR.png

Note: writing your question into the same text area as the OP makes it hard to respond to you.

As to the why? Speculating that the OP wants to use the Apple TV inside a cabinet or low board that has a frontal enclosure instead of netting. So for this there's emitters that are placed near/ in front of the device's IR receiver, then another main IR receiver in line of sight that is triggered by the device's actual remote.

Edit: I didn't revive this 7yr old thread but did reply to someone from that era. Note to self: check posting dates with more care.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.