Where is the Live TV functionality?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Slayerboym88, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Slayerboym88 macrumors regular

I must say, I am quite surprised that there is not a plethora of true services/sites/whatever that allow you to see real, live TV on the iPhone. For that matter, I am also quite disappointed that AT&T has not added the MobileTV functionality that the LG Vu and Samsung Access have to the iPhone: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/messaging-internet/mobile-tv/
    They even have a few cable channels on the services, but none of it is on iPhone?! Why?! Who else agrees that this is another substantial oversight by AT&T. (And no, I'm not talking about downloading programs first, then ripping them to my iPhone!) (Sorry if this is a repeat, but I did use the search function first and found nothing)

2. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

3. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

Check out www.ORB.com Streams live TV from your casa and from what I hear it is awesome. Jailbroken phones only!

I was one of those fools wanting Mobile TV and some video conferencing. Even though I just bought two 3G's yesterday (one for me and one for the wifey), 3G and GPS wasn't that big of a deal to me after already owning the 2G iPhone. But I couldn't help myself and got one anyway.

Not really sure why Apple/AT&T didn't offer the Mobile TV on the 3G. My only guess is that Apple didn't want to blow their load in just the 2nd year on a 5 year deal with AT&T. Just like most technology, companies aren't going to give you everything in just a few cycles of product. Apple is in it for the green backs first, customer satisfaction second. I would think it would be in the next iPhone however. But what do I know.

An AT&T rep told me the reason video conferencing wasn't on the iPhone is that it currently can't support it. I think he was referring to having it work with the quality that would be expected by end users.

Can't wait till next summer! :)

4. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The 3G network could handle iTunes quality TV (at around six megabytes second+ depending on your area), developers just need to optimize apps for it. The ORB app for jailbroken iPhones is decent, but it isn't optimized good enoughfor the iPhone yet, even over wifi. I'm sure the SlingPlayer app that'll be out by the end of the year in the App Store will be something to look forward to.

5. KD110 macrumors member

where is there any info on sling coming to iphone? would be awesome if true but don't believe it till I see something real about it. heard rumours regarding it coming before 3g arrived, but nothing since...

6. Slayerboym88 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, I guess that means that I'll have to buy something to import my DirecTV into my network then? I do have it connected though to a LAN line so that I can listen to my iTunes on my tv (I'm too cheap to pay for the full version of EyeConnect) but I take it that I'll need more than just that to allow for DTV streaming? Sorry I'm unfamiliar with Slingbox.

7. dmize macrumors newbie

Yeah, I haven't heard anything since then either. I would LOVE slingbox for the iPhone

8. Slayerboym88 thread starter macrumors regular

Ha, in my Slingbox research, look at what I found:
    http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/06/08/sling-media-announces-iphone-client-on-the-way
    There's hope yet, although I still wish that the TV was something that was publicly available and not something that you have to set up yourself.

Edit: and this: http://gizmodo.com/395415/sling-on-iphone-video-hands-on

9. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Slingbox is not comming, dont kid yourself. Apple wants you to buy itunes content.

10. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Sling already has a pre-alpha version running on the iPhone. Check out the ars-technica link that was posted a few posts back for a few more details and screens. There's some videos on YouTube of it running, but since it's in pre-alpha in the videos, it doesn't work too well, but it's the nicest interface for live TV that I've ever seen on a phone.

11. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Thank you!! Finally someone points it out. Why in the world would Apple want to put mobile TV service on their phone (that they plan to sell millions and millions of) when they have their own music and video store. Even if it was an extra service charge, Apple would still loose tons and tons of money. And we wouldn't want that, would we? :cool: