Where is the MacBook Pro going now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mms, Jun 15, 2007.

1. mms macrumors 6502a

It seems that people are pretty happy with the latest revision of the MBP with SR, pretty screens, and the new graphics card.

Now, what's in the future for MBP (specifically 15" low end)? I don't care about the ultraportable, a tablet, or anything like that because I'm sick of hearing about them. What I want to know is what we can REALISTICALLY expect from the next upgrade (assuming it's going to be an incremental upgrade because that's the only thing that we can accurately predict).

In particular, there are four points that I think need to be addressed.
    1. processor - obviously the processor will get a bump in the next revision. Can somebody point me to a link that'll tell me about Intel's next set of mobile CPUs? Is it going to be a big jump like CD->C2D or will it be like a current C2D with a higher clock speed?
    2. chipset - I'm assuming that SR is going to stay for another couple of revisions. My understanding is that the next processor will use the same chipset as this one. Sombody please correct me if I am wrong.
    3. 800MHz RAM - I know people were disappointed when this revision had only a 667MHz memory controller. Is it reasonable to expect 800MHz soon? Is it going to make a big difference?
    4. video card - My understanding is that this newest graphics card is good (as in one of the best ones that you can get in a portable right now). While 512MB may come up as an option, I'm not worried about that. What I want to know is if Nvidia (or ATI, if future MBPs might go back to them) has announced plans/timetables for the next mobile graphics card. My gut feeling is that Apple is going to stick with this card for the next revision.

So basically what I want to know is if there is all that much we can expect from a next incremental revision. I don't NEED one for almost another year but if the next one isn't expected to be that big of an update, then it would make sense for me to spend my money now.

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I'm just wondering, why are you wondering about the next MBPs, if the new ones were released ten days ago? The next ones will likely have Penryn, 800Mhz RAM, and a few other goodies I'm sure. Computers will always get better as time goes on, no need to worry about that :p

3. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Maybe he is trying to decide should he buy now or wait. ;)

5. mms thread starter macrumors 6502a

Read the last paragraph of the original post (which is right above you). Thanks sushi.

So Penryn - my reading tells me that it'll be 45nm as opposed to 60nm, have a bigger L2 cache, and have SSE4. Can somebody explain what that actually means?

My basic understanding is that 45nm will allow for higher clock speeds at the same power consumption. What kind of clock speeds can we expect?

L2 cache - supposedly it'll go from 4MB to 6MB. Can somebody explain to me what the L2 cache is, when it's the most used, and how big of a difference that is?

SSE4 - this is a new type of "machine instructions". I have no idea what that means. What is this is and is Apple going to take full advantage of this?

And overall, is the C2D -> Penryn transition going to be a radical change like G3 -> G4 -> G5 or is it a more incremental change?

6. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Here is some information about Penryn and Nehalem even. So the highest clock speed without overclocking for Penryn is about 3GHz.
    Check this info.

7. mms thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, but I have no idea what any of that means because that page is just full of ridiculous technical terms. What does SSE4 mean for the average user?

8. Reiger macrumors regular

It just means that some tasks can be performed much more efficiently by the processor. For instance, converting movies can be done much much faster.

I gues Penryn will be like CD --> C2D. They will certainly be fast. But my prediction is that we will see in november:

Macbook, pretty similar specs, only with Robson and
    -13,3" LED Screens
    -Santa Rosa 2,2 and 2,4 Ghz C2D Processors
    -X3100 SR graphics
    (maybe Robson, but wouldn't count on it)

Macbook Pro, depending on demand for the new hi-res 17" displays, a resolution bump to:
    -15,4 inch LED 1680*1050 and 17" LED 1920*1200
    -Santa Rosa Penryn 2,6 and 2,8 Ghz Processors
    -2GB (DDR3 ?) ram
    -same graphics, similar harddrives
    (maybe Robson, but wouldn't count on it)

Redesign will follow in May or June 2008 to be released at the WWDC2008. It will be based on the Monteniva platform. The design will be fairly similar to the new ultraportable (which will be released at Macworld 2008).