Where is the Matte??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hal1980, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Hal1980 macrumors member

I need a computer so bad. Was really hoping they would make matte available in the new lineup of macbooks whenever they were released.

Cannot stand the glassy or glossy. I have a 5 year old Powerbook that I desperately wanted to upgrade and was ready to pull the trigger yesterday on a purchase. I will not buy a matte.

I can understand that Apple is moving to consumers, but there are a lot of us who refuse to buy the damn mirror screens. I understand if a small set of customers wanted an option and the lack of commercial viability to make everyone happy. But every poll seems to show that mac fans want a matte option. You'd think Apple would have addressed that.

I've had it, I'm just going to spend the money on 3rd party HDD and RAM to make this puppy last longer. Too bad that Apple is leaving so much money on the table from those of us refusing to buy mirror.

2. pufftissue macrumors regular

I think that the new macbook pro is just about perfect save for the glossy screen. Techrestore offers a matte screen for $200. I just might have to fork it over.
    The screen is the same screen that is used, just minus the glass. But b/c the screens claim to have been upgraded, I need someone to confirm that they are using the upgraded screens as well with the better color gamut IF there really is more than marketing hype to it.

3. pesc macrumors regular

I just mailed Tech Restore this morning and asked about exactly what screen they put in. The response was that the matte screen service is "not yet" available for the latest 13" MacBookPro.

I can't stand glassy/glossy either. But I've given up hope that Apple will ever release a portable matte laptop again. I would have paid premium $$$ for it. But now I'll buy the cheapest MacBookPro and send it directly to TechRestore. I'll upgrade memory and SSD myself. :mad:

4. thesheep macrumors regular

thesheep

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I agree matte is needed. Strange that they introduced it as an option for the 17" but then not for the 15". Doesn't seem to make sense. Perhaps they thought not enough people bought the 17" matte option? Perhaps they are just confused and different factions within Apple have different agendas? I would buy a new 15" today if it didn't have a mirror-screen.

5. pufftissue macrumors regular

I think that the features are carefully distributed such that none of these notebooks has every single thing what we want, hehe. They upsell you or they purposely leave them out.

When will Apple realize that putting in more ports and more options will only increase sales, not harm it?

They should just put everything into one $3,000 model, and people who must have each features will buy it.

6. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

It feels like they are adding reasons to spend the extra money to buy a 17". If you want a matte screen, or an Expresscard slot, then you don't have much of a choice.

7. macjay macrumors 6502

It is actually not that difficult to replace the white Macbook's glossy LCD with a matte LCD.

Just buy a matte 13" Macbook LCD off of eBay ("laptopscreen1" is a good seller) and follow the instructions in these tutorials:

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD_snbFa9Zg

2) http://www.etechparts.com/Articles.asp?ID=205

I used the video as the main guide and the eTech guide for additional detail.

I have no technical expertise and was able to use this shortcut method to FINALLY have a matte 13" Macbook!

(BTW, prior to actually replacing the LCD, I used a Powersupport anti-glare film. For me, it made the Macbook usable and was a huge improvement over glossy, but I still wanted a true matte LCD.)

8. Hal1980 thread starter macrumors member

Techrestore does not put the same screen in, and they beat the crap out of your computer to install it. Not going to let someone hack away at it.

Not going to buy a 17" (don't care as much about the money, just the size). 13" is too small (can't view two docs side by side) and 17" is too big (bigger than all the bags, plane under seats, etc).

If they came out with a matte screen the same quality as the mirror, I'd pay $3000.

Throw in a Blueray burner, and express card slot and I'd pay $3500-$4000. But the one thing I won't budge on is the mirror screen.

9. spitfyre macrumors newbie

Not so bad

I have to say that I was adamantly opposed to the glossy screen and I never thought that I'd buy one. I don't understand why they've done away with the matte option. But I desperately needed a new computer so I decided to try it. A

I've grown to really like it. I've got frustrated when I've had my macbook in direct sunlight, but that doesn't happen too often. And when I go back and look at my old matte screen, I can't believe how terrible that looks to me now (the text is not sharp at all.)

I'm not doing a lot of photo or graphics work though, so maybe there are other reasons that you need matte. But I was a glossy hater and I've come around a bit. I don't LOVE it, but I don't know that I'd go back to matte if given the chance.

10. pik. macrumors 6502

pik.

I strongly considering upgrading but with no matte I think I have no choise....:(

the 17inch is too much....

11. ..........? macrumors member

If you paid enough attention to Apple design philosophy then you would know that apple design philosophy is anticipate what the user needs are since users don't really know what they really want and need. Designing products that will simplify how the uses does somethings and only include things that are really need and nothing that is extra. Also apple product has a minimalist visual design cues that make apple product so sexy.

12. imthekuni macrumors member

So are you saying that Apple is telling it's customers to purchase more movies from iTunes and watch them in 60% better color gamut on their gorgeous glossy screens?

Personally I know what I want, and glossy is not on that list.

13. Hal1980 thread starter macrumors member

Don't know how installing a mirror in the place of what was a screen simplifies how I do something. I don't need a mirror I need a functioning screen.

14. LowMach macrumors member

don't worry hal. i am about to purchase a new macbook pro, so they will have the matte option available a few weeks later. ;)

15. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

I basically use my laptop on full brightness most of the time, so I looked and the glossy doesn't seem to be too bad.

If it is horrible, I will do the $200 for the matte screen upgrade through techrestore.

16. Hal1980 thread starter macrumors member

I'd be happy to do the techrestore, but they don't use the same screen, they beat the crap out of your old computer, and it voids the warranty. Not sure why apple decided it was a good idea to install a mirror in the place of a screen without least the BTO added cost option of actually ordering a real screen.

See images of tech restore's crappy work:
    http://www.macworld.com/article/138574/2009/02/techrestorembp.html

17. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Why does Apple not have a matte as a BTO option for the 13" and 15". Seems like basic marketing if you ask me. They already do it for the 17" so why not the other two Pro models?

Apple befuddles me sometimes

18. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i certainly pay enough attention to what apples philosophy is. namely none. i'm the customer and i pay for things I want or I need. i can't care less what apple thinks I should need. on average apple products are good for my uses so i keep buying them. as soon as their products don't deliver anymore what I need I stop buying them. Regardless of Apples design philosophy and whatever attetion this philosophy needs.

Sorry for the rant. :eek:

Anyway I'm quite happy with apples notebooks right now and just wish there was a matte screen on the 13"MBP.

19. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Thats because youre comparing a modern screen with whatever crappy LCD you have in the old computer, matte definitely doesnt make text blurry or do anything bad to the image quality. LCDs arent created equal, the coating is just a coating, the lcd itself is what determines a better or worse picture.

20. imthekuni macrumors member

I just checked out a new 15" MBP at my school computer store today...honestly, I was really worried about the glassy finish....but it seriously is not that bad

Albeit I rarely use my laptop outside, I think I am OK with it not having matte. I really dont feel like waiting for them to maybe come out with the matte option.