Where is the new iMac...?!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ben-adam, Mar 27, 2012.

  1. ben-adam macrumors newbie

    Aug 6, 2010
    iMac: wait a bit more or get the current model?
  2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

    Dec 17, 2009
    Wha processors would they put in the new iMac? I haven't seen any yet....
  3. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus


    Sep 8, 2010
    If you need one now, go ahead and buy it. But if you can wait a little longer, you many want to do so. There hasn't been too much information about the next refresh, but it should be coming soon. Possibly no later than June/July according to the MacRumors Buyers Guide.

    I would expect only minor spec bumps in the next refresh, and nothing major.
  4. elmo151 Guest

    Jul 3, 2007
    mine is late 2006 and ready for an upgrade!

    I'm not so patiently waiting

    check the http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ buyers guide
  5. KylePowers macrumors 68000


    Mar 5, 2011
    Plenty of threads in the iMac sub forum about this. Buy now if you need it, wait if you can. Presumably just a couple months away.

    Most likely only seeing Ivy Bridge CPUs, updated GPUs, and probably USB 3.0. Probably Bluetooth 4.0 if the iMac doesn't already have it.
  6. Powen macrumors newbie

    Mar 28, 2012
    I can hardly wait, too! Need a new hardware for the upcoming Diablo III, but I only want iMac. :apple:
  7. Todisco, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012

    Todisco macrumors newbie


    Sep 1, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    My wild guess -

    If I had to bet it will be released this summer with Mountain Lion. The two releases would seem to go hand-n-hand.
  8. LaWally macrumors 6502a

    Feb 24, 2012
    If new MBP 13" and 15" will be released in May/June as rumored, that means there will only be 6 months left in 2012 with 5 product updates pending: MBA 11", MBP 17", iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Pro.

    It is unlikely that Apple would release 5 product updates in 6 months. One or more of these pending updates seems destined to be pushed into 2013.
  9. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

    Jul 21, 2011
    If macbook pro updates are rumored for April....i would imagine June-ish for the imac update. I find it hard to believe Apple will wait until 2013 to update the imacs. Even the fall is a long shot. I think it will be much earlier. It's been awhile & they are due for one. If i am not mistaken, imacs usually see updates in the spring/summer. So if that trend continues, it shouldn't be long now.

    Like others have said, i think it will coincide with the OSX update. We shall see. I am in the market for one. I think the imac is the prefect compliment to the ipad which i love. Ipad for the road. Imac at home to do the heavy lifting. :)

    Although...with thunderbolt, a macbook plus an Apple cinema display is a nice alternative too. :)
  10. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030


    Dec 31, 2007
    Colorado & Ontario
    I'd like to see the new iMac's share the iPod Touch's shiny polished aluminum back panel.

    Next time you think the glare from glossy screen is bad, just imagine that on a sunny day.

  11. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

    Feb 27, 2012
    Chandler, Arizona
    I would expect the SSD CTO price to change a LOT, since that is the single largest market adjustment that has occurred between the last iMac's release in May 2011 and now. $750 for a 256GB SSD is ludicrous today. The SSD might even become the default config, as it did for the MBA. Also, if the new iMacs use Ivy Bridge CPUs as expected, they will have USB3 native in the system board chipset. Those are two pretty significant reasons to wait and see, and not buy yet.
  12. swarleystinson macrumors regular


    Aug 12, 2010
    New York, NY
    The current iMac will run that no problem. I'm running the i7 and, especially with a ~10% GPU overlclock on the 6970m, I can handle nearly any game at native resolution (2560x1440) pushing 60fps.

    There are some exceptions to this, but I can promise you Diablo 3 will not be one of them.
    Right now I'm playing COD MW3 and Mass Effect 3 and it runs brilliantly at near max specs - even better with Anti-Aliasing off. I think COD is running at 4x AA.

    Parroting what others have said, I really don't think you're going to see much of an impressive bump in specs. There really are no other mobile GPUs out right now for the money that offer much of an improvement. Ivy Bridge may or may not allow more room for overclocking the GPU.
    The only possibility would be if they did 6970m SLI - which I doubt highly but would be awesome.
  13. TEG macrumors 604


    Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    The new Ivy Bridge processors and bridges are what are holding up new iMacs and new MacBook Pros. These new chips aren't due for release until April 29, so I would not expect new Macs before then, but Apple and Intel have a special relationship, so you never know.

  14. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

    Dec 17, 2009
    What are you talking about? Apple upgraded all but the Mac Pro in about 6 months last year as well. In fact the even upgraded the Macbook Pro twice in about a 6 month span (okay might have been 8 months). With Intel releasing new processors every year, we will see the entire lineup for ALL PC vendors upgrading their entire line in 6-8 months (possibly faster) each year.
  15. thekev macrumors 604


    Aug 5, 2010
    My guess would be troll.

    You just posted something devoid of logic. I kind of hope you're just trolling. Take a look at when cpus came out. When cpus come out that encompass an entire line, Apple updates. Sometimes if it's just a minor 200 Mhz bump on a prior cpu type they don't bother. It has nothing to do with the number of products to be updated.

Share This Page