Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgd

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
SG
Malaysia, this weekend. Day trip probably. That's if I can find the time to transfer the GPS to the new bike before then.

Next month it will be KL for a couple of days to catch the MotoGP.

Malaysia has all the great motorcyling roads that Singapore lacks.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
It won't be the next place, technically, but our next big trip we are planning is the Dempster Highway, in the Yukon. Goes from just east of Dawson City to Inuvik, on the Mackenzie Delta (on the Arctic Ocean). Well over 700km - no trees, and on gas station. We'll go in August/September - but in the winter they extend the highway with an ice road on the Mackenzie to Tuktoyuktuk on the Arctic Ocean.

Way cool.

We've done some driving in the Yukon, Whitehorse to Atlin; WH to Skagway, Alaska; WH to Dawson; and a couple of other places. It's an amazing place. They are still pulling gold out of the hills, a lot of extraction are still individuals and families placer mining. The scenery is unparalleled, and the air as clean and clear as you can get.

So I'm assuming you are done with this by now, how was it? That's something that I would love to do someday.

As for where I'm going next I'm probably going to be spending the next summer in Yellowknife NWT but that's not for sure yet.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Michigan

I'll have to get my fix of Bell's, Founders, Short's, and Jolly Pumpkin while I'm there. Although not the purpose of the trip, it is a delightful bonus!

MechaSpanky

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Next big trip for me is Japan. I went there 4 years ago on an exchange program. Now that my brother is studying abroad for a year, I am going to visit him for Christmas/New Years. Might be climbing Mt. Fuji and watch the sunrise. I think it'll be good practice of my Japanese language skills so far :) I'm stoked!

MusicEnthusiast,

Japan is a beautiful place and it is sad because many people never venture outside of the major cities, especially when they come here on business. Mt Fuji is very beautiful but if you are going to visit your brother at Christmas/New Years, climbing Mt Fuji is going to be difficult. The official climbing season is July 1st to August 31st. After August the lodges or shelters are closed and it is recommended that people not climb the mountain during this time. I'm not saying that you can't do it but I would recommend that you come to Japan in July or August if you really want to climb Mt Fuji. Maybe they have some kind of a special "New Years" climb but I have never heard of it. I hope that you are able to make it to Japan and that you enjoy your trip.

Mecha

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
So I'm assuming you are done with this by now, how was it? That's something that I would love to do someday.
Unfortunately we had to put it off for a year. Next year for sure, though!

Which means our next trips are the more local Victoria, Vancouver, Vancouver Island destinations. Though Port Renfrew is high on the list now.
As for where I'm going next I'm probably going to be spending the next summer in Yellowknife NWT but that's not for sure yet.

How come?

MusicEnthusiast

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Los Angeles
MusicEnthusiast,

Japan is a beautiful place and it is sad because many people never venture outside of the major cities, especially when they come here on business. Mt Fuji is very beautiful but if you are going to visit your brother at Christmas/New Years, climbing Mt Fuji is going to be difficult. The official climbing season is July 1st to August 31st. After August the lodges or shelters are closed and it is recommended that people not climb the mountain during this time. I'm not saying that you can't do it but I would recommend that you come to Japan in July or August if you really want to climb Mt Fuji. Maybe they have some kind of a special "New Years" climb but I have never heard of it. I hope that you are able to make it to Japan and that you enjoy your trip.

Mecha

Ah, right. I was probably getting way ahead of myself. It's like trying to climb any mountain in the winter. Avalanche dangers, intense cold, etc.

I bought my tickets last month from Dec 20 to Jan 6. I found out the dorms in Japan usually don't allow overnight guests, but thankfully I have a friend I can stay with at his house in Yokohama for a week. After that I will most likely stay in a hostel or two.

Know of any cool things going on during my travel days? 祭りとか、正月の特別なイベント? I know about their "happy bags" event that they do at department stores, that should be interesting.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
For me, back to Denver (again) for another ski trip next February. Normally I like to visit someplace only once unless it's somewhere international but, it's Denver so going back to Vail/Breckenridge/Keystone ain't exactly a bad thing IMO :p

Breck ****ing rocks. One of the coolest little towns I have ever been to. I have some friends out in Colorado and have been out there a few times. I'd love to go back again soon.

But, the next trip for me will hopefully be California. A friend of mine is moving to the San Francisco area soon, so I'm going to go out there to visit him and check it out.

Other places on the short list in the USA include New Orleans, Key West, and southern California. And Europe... Italy, Ireland, Amsterdam, Munich, London.. I could go on forever haha

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Illinois for 2 day training.

I have to take a plane from Albany, NY to Chicago, IL, then a 2 hour bus ride, then a shuttle to the hotel. Good times.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Michigan

I'll have to get my fix of Bell's, Founders, Short's, and Jolly Pumpkin while I'm there. Although not the purpose of the trip, it is a delightful bonus!

If you like beers, and don't find these where you live, you can find plenty of these in Michigan Liquor stores:
http://www.unibroue.com

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Cities for beers:

1) Any Belgium
2) Czech Republic:
Prague
PLZN http://www.pilsner-urquell.com/
BUDWEIS http://www.budweiserbudvar.co.uk
3) Any in Germany, start with Berlin and then Munich?
Plan for an Oktoberfest vacation

Jb07

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2011
Dallas
I'm currently planning now, actually. I just went to Hawaii, so I'm thinking Europe - France, Ireland, and Germany. I've been to Italy and England, so I'm ready to go back and experience more.

MechaSpanky

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Ah, right. I was probably getting way ahead of myself. It's like trying to climb any mountain in the winter. Avalanche dangers, intense cold, etc.

I bought my tickets last month from Dec 20 to Jan 6. I found out the dorms in Japan usually don't allow overnight guests, but thankfully I have a friend I can stay with at his house in Yokohama for a week. After that I will most likely stay in a hostel or two.

Know of any cool things going on during my travel days? 祭りとか、正月の特別なイベント? I know about their "happy bags" event that they do at department stores, that should be interesting.

MusicEnthusiast,

There are many great places to see in Japan but it depends on how much you want to travel. Are you planning on staying around Tokyo? You could easily spend your entire trip in Tokyo and not be bored but if you have the time and the resources, I would recommend getting out and about. Fukubukuro (lucky bags) are fun but it all depends on the store. Some stores have great deals and some stores have some lame ones. Some people here say that the stores put in things that didn't sell well from the previous year in bags and call them "Lucky Bags" but I think it depends on the store. I never buy lucky bags from a clothing stores. Other people swear that the lucky bags are the best thing since sliced bread.

If you are going to travel around a lot, get a RailPass. It will let you ride any JR train, bus, ferry, or subway for free (even the Shinkansen but you can't ride the Nozomi). That time of year is a busy time and most places will be incredibly crowded so you might want to pay little more and get a reserved ticket, if you can.

Near Tokyo, Kamakura is a great place to go. The town is nice and there are many interesting temples and shrines to see (the Kamakura Diabutsu is wonderful). If you have the time and the money, I like Miyajima (a small island in Hiroshima Prefecture that has the Itsukushima shrine). Also Kyoto has so many wonder places like Kiyomizu dera, Fushimi Inari, and Sanjusangen-do just to name a few. Near Kyoto you can also easily travel to Nara, which has many wonderful sites and Osaka is also not too far as well.

Good luck, I hope that you enjoy your trip.

MusicEnthusiast

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Los Angeles
MusicEnthusiast,

There are many great places to see in Japan but it depends on how much you want to travel. Are you planning on staying around Tokyo? You could easily spend your entire trip in Tokyo and not be bored but if you have the time and the resources, I would recommend getting out and about. Fukubukuro (lucky bags) are fun but it all depends on the store. Some stores have great deals and some stores have some lame ones. Some people here say that the stores put in things that didn't sell well from the previous year in bags and call them "Lucky Bags" but I think it depends on the store. I never buy lucky bags from a clothing stores. Other people swear that the lucky bags are the best thing since sliced bread.

If you are going to travel around a lot, get a RailPass. It will let you ride any JR train, bus, ferry, or subway for free (even the Shinkansen but you can't ride the Nozomi). That time of year is a busy time and most places will be incredibly crowded so you might want to pay little more and get a reserved ticket, if you can.

Near Tokyo, Kamakura is a great place to go. The town is nice and there are many interesting temples and shrines to see (the Kamakura Diabutsu is wonderful). If you have the time and the money, I like Miyajima (a small island in Hiroshima Prefecture that has the Itsukushima shrine). Also Kyoto has so many wonder places like Kiyomizu dera, Fushimi Inari, and Sanjusangen-do just to name a few. Near Kyoto you can also easily travel to Nara, which has many wonderful sites and Osaka is also not too far as well.

Good luck, I hope that you enjoy your trip.

Thanks for the suggestions! 4 years ago I did a lot of traveling around Japan, including Miyajima. I think my brother is getting a group together to head over to Niigata for some skiing. Haven't been to Kamakura before, maybe I'll check it out! The shinkansen is pretty expensive but I'll definitely want to get out of Tokyo at least a couple times. Thanks!

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Harvard Medical School Morgue.

I'm a full body donor, and my next trip will be by hearse to be cut up by all the snotty little self impressed Harvard Med School students.

Not actually looking forward to it, but if chopping me up into little pieces helps train some Docs who might help others...well, I won't be using my body for any useful purpose at that point!:p

;)

Orange Crane

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Thanksgiving cycling trip down to astoria and the northwest Oregon coast! Greatly looking forward to it.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Ireland is fantastic. My wife and I spent our honeymoon driving the coast of the entire southern half of the island over ten days, and I'd go back in a heartbeat if I could. I've never seen such beautiful views around every corner.

As for me, we'd like to see Rome, Venice and the Amalfi Coast next. Maybe a trip to the East Coast in the interim.

Some people in my family seriously fell in love with Ireland. It sounded like the rest of us were lucky we even got them back again.

Personally, I'd love to beam myself onto Kauai, Hawaii's "garden island." Relatively small but so packed with scenery it's absurd; canyons, forests, valleys, mountains, waterfalls, hiking trails, rivers, the ocean, if one can't find a pleasant retreat there then it's a hopeless quest.

But alas, my next trip is just to run upstairs with the clean laundry!

darky90

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
I really want to go to Europe. Anywhere in Europe. I recently just got back from Hawaii (Oahu) and it was beautiful there. Gotta stay away from the tourist traps though to witness the beauty.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I wonder it they will take a Foreign Exchange Corpse?

It's the only way I will get into Harvard Medical School at this juncture. :(

Exactly my thought. They wouldn't have me when I was alive, so...

You have to be fresh when you get there (within 24 hours). Might be difficult for a serious out of towner to get there in time.:D

Too late for the guy below...

Attachments

• Skull.png
    Skull.png
    84.9 KB · Views: 61
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.