Where is the option key on a macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mazzy150, Jul 26, 2006.

  1. mazzy150 macrumors newbie

    Jul 19, 2006
    I feel really embarassed to ask this,but what does the option key look like on a macbook and where is it?I am really new to mac as i have never used a mac in my life.:eek: :eek: :eek:

  2. elbirth macrumors 65816

    Jan 19, 2006
    North Carolina, US
    It's the key that says "option" :)

    It's on the bottom row, two keys to the left of the space bar. Should say "alt" at the top and "option" at the bottom.
  3. mazzy150 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 19, 2006
  4. MikeStevens macrumors newbie

    Dec 21, 2007
    Options / Alt

    I have a new MacBook and the Alt key has "alt" at the top and a character that looks like a bath at the bottom. It doesn't have the word "Options" on it.
  5. zephead macrumors 68000


    Apr 27, 2006
    in your pants
    Yes, that's the Alt/Option key. That little symbol is Apple's "option" symbol. You'll see it in some of the menus at the top of the screen.
  6. stryving macrumors newbie

    May 7, 2009
    Another Mac user

    Hello -

    I am also a new MacBook user finally crossing over after years and years of PC-ing in my life. I also did not know where the 'options' key was. Even the help files and other stuff only mention the graphic symbol and the alt designation.

    Any way, it's refreshing to try something new once in a while, even if it's a laptop that's a Mac.

  7. Jardange macrumors newbie

    Jan 4, 2012
    Option key

    Duh, thanks for answering this query.

    The option key on my Macbook has kept its secret well ... masquerading as the alt key with no mention of 'option' at all - just a strange hieroglyph.
  8. Maccy34 macrumors newbie

    Feb 23, 2016
    --- Post Merged, Feb 23, 2016 ---
    'Should' being the operative word here. There is no key on my MacBook that is marked OPTIONS but thanks to others who answered this question by explaining that the Alt key is the same. Why is there no consistency here?
  9. CreatorCode macrumors regular


    Apr 15, 2015

    It depends on the language your keyboard was designed for. US English keyboards always have habe a key labeled "option" with no symbol. Most non-US keyboards just have the ⌥ symbol, and no text label.

Share This Page