Where is the OS X Lion user manual?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hakr100, Jul 20, 2011.

1. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

All these new features, and no serious documentation that I can find. Is there some? If so, can you post the URL for it? I mean, more than just a simple description of a feature...how to set it up, how to invoke it...directions, as it were. Thanks.

2. WestcoastAkita macrumors newbie

I've searched high and low and can't find any manual, did have a look on Amazon.ca and the earliest is first week in August for any paper manuals.

I like exploring but I need a map!:D

3. simsaladimbamba

4. jasustar macrumors newbie

The closest that I've found

Just like everyone else, I was unable to find proper documentation for Lion OS. However, at least the following site from Apple tells you all that is new, which is a start.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html

5. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

Apple seriously dropped the ball on this one. You can't even buy a book on Lion right now, yet the developer previews have been out for several months, plenty of time to write a book, so my guess is that Apple didn't allow book publishers to release the books until after Lion was released.... So lame, the first OS I've ever seen that didn't have a book ready by the release date.

6. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

I was kind of hoping somebody had penned an online beginners guide by now too. I remember that was the case when iOS4 came out and it was a godsend. I learned features that half the iPhone users out there hadn't realized even existed. :D

Ah well, guess I'll just have to use the Apple site and play with it myself tomorrow, since I just installed it today. :apple:

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

8. bobvis macrumors newbie

There *is* a manual!

There is plenty of support for Lion here: http://www.apple.com/support/lion/

It's actually better organized than the old manuals were. (I do wish Apple had made it easier to find though. The URL seems obvious after you see it, but it still took a good amount of searching.)

9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

10. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

That's where I went, read the whole thing too. In the meantime I follow the feeds from Lifehacker to get any new tips for using Lion.

11. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Here's another site to get Lion (as well as other) tips:

tuaw.com: tip-of-the-day

12. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Apple is just doing their part to help David Pogue make money!

Are you serious about a manual? There is a reason the iPhone manual is a sheet of paper folded up really really small (into 16ths I think) that nobody notices tucked between all those warranty and disclaimer sheets in 17 different languages. You don't need one. If you've used an iPod Touch, you've used an iPhone. If you need a manual for an iPod Touch, well. What can I say, David Pogue does need to make money.

Just as you aren't supposed to need install media, you aren't supposed to need a manual. Looking for something in control panel in windows 7? Hope you brought a dowsing rod. Looking for something in system preferences? Type the first few characters and everything related lights up. I'm really impressed with the amount of work Apple has put in the help system for OS X. I suppose they might grudgingly put out a manual but only in electronic form and I bet you will have to download it from the App Store.

Right now, Apple only offers a "Bootcamp setup" manual for Lion. The most recent OS manual they list on their web site is for Snow Leopard. I really do think they are testing the waters to eliminate OS manuals altogether. Frankly I think it's a good tradeoff. Microsoft publishes thick wasteful tree killing manuals but won't talk to you on the phone. For help, Microsoft wants you to go to third parties. Apple won't print a manual but takes excellent care of you on the phone. For thick paper manuals, Apple wants you to go to third parties. Give me Apple's approach any day. I did notice that while Snow Leopard was released in August 2009, the manual date on Apple's web site is January 2010. It is quite possible Apple plans to offer a Lion manual in a few months. Of course by then the Pogue's of the world will be a bit richer.

13. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Bleh.... I think they're still writing the manual, judging by how "beta" Lion seems to still be.

Lion = serious step backwards IMHO.

14. ikinder13055 macrumors newbie

15. jmanjerry macrumors newbie