Where is the Quadro card?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by huffy15, Mar 3, 2009.

1. huffy15 macrumors regular

That's could be a stupid but anyway, where is the Quadro graphic card on the new mac pro? FX 5800 soon? or the HD 4870 could be a great choice for the dev. graphic use.

Thank help me on it.

Julien

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It may be that Apple didn't sell many, not to mention under OSX they aren't worth the money as the drivers aren't like they are on Windows. We will probably see 3.2GHz processor additions at some point so maybe a Quadro or FireGL card will be added then.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Think about it, though: Do you have the money for a 5800? :D It'd probably cost more than the rest of the Mac Pro itself.

Or what about the drivers we have seen for the Tesla?! The Tesla would be a better option.

4. huffy15 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll envisage to buy one on september but probably another but It could be pretty nice if it was available. What are Tesla carde? Anyone knows about hd 4870 on xsi or 3ds on render?

5. huffy15 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll envisage to buy one on september but probably another but It could be pretty nice if it was available. What is the tesla card? Anyone knows about hd 4870 on xsi or 3ds on render?

sorry double post

6. Dreamail macrumors 6502

Stop-Gap?

This whole 'upgrade' smells stop gap to me.

Sure we got faster CPUs and with it a new mother board design.
    But the rest is totally out of sync.

The new Xeons want memory in triplets, so why is the max RAM 32 and not 48GB?
    Because Apple couldn't be bothered to upgrade the machine's design to make room for more slots.

My thought is that a lot is waiting for Snow Leopard. Not just Blu-Ray support but I would also expect the return of a Quadro GPU card. I guess they don't want to do drivers for both Leopard and Snow Leopard - considering the latter has a completely new structure under the hood.

By the time SL comes out, Intel might even have dropped the prices on the Xeons a bit warranting a re-release with a new case and support for more RAM and higher specced GPUs.
    Somewhen June to September.

And Apple should not have waited until then to update the Mac Pros.

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

How so? the Teslas are GPGPU's.

I'm building a system to replace one of my Dells at home which will host two or three Teslas, but it will still need a GPU.

I noticed the lack of a Quadro in the GPU lineup and was wondering if the delay is due to something pretty simple, such as perhaps waiting for NVidia to cater for Apple's obsession with mini displayport.

8. apolloa macrumors 604

apolloa

PNY Quadro cards already come with the Display port as standard.

9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

MINI displayport.

Edit: Looks like my hunch might be more than a hunch - I just went back and looked at the back of the new Pro in the 'Easy I/O' image, and the card in there has both DVI and mini displayport. Who's not to say the the new 30-incher won't be sporting mini DP?

10. huffy15 thread starter macrumors regular

stupid port

That's very funny, Apple threw the mini display port and there are nothing to say else a 24-inch monitor. Seriously that's totaly stupid 1 port 1 monitor. I hope they choose the right port 'cause I don't think anyone could be include it on a samsung for example. I wish it will not diseappear as their predecessor: mini-vga, mini-dvi, micro-dvi

Julien

11. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Question is, why would anybody buy a Quadro?

The Gaming cards always blow them away at half the price.

Do you really need more video memory?

What kind of projects are you working on?

Maya works fine with a 3870.

I would imagine a 4870 would fly.

12. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

There's a difference between 'professionally usable' and 'works fine'.

13. ale500 macrumors regular

The Quadro (and FireGL) cards allow Stereo. Sadly, that option is available on the higher-end cards. Very useful for crystallography of proteins. Sadly such programs do not run well on OSX, because of Stereo problems! So you are back to Winblows of Linux. A market that SGI had for quite a while (The SGI O2 was quite a nice machine with Stereo support, and it did not cost an arm and a leg, just an arm!).

14. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

SGI machines used to cost way more.

I think it's funny that artists and scientists use the exact same equipment.

15. mBox macrumors 68020

Your kidding right? Anyhoo, Im glad our last batch of MacPros all came with FX4500. I guess were going to wait it out for the FX5800...

16. mBox macrumors 68020

We have a few O2's and Octanes that are primed for week-end experiments e.g. bar-fridge, boom-box, things to explode ;)
    I was going to gut one and put a Mac-Mini in it but got the talking too :p

17. cesar macrumors member

for mesh generation and visualization in CFD, crash (>> 250,000 elements), geforce cards are not enough. Quadro cards are needed. you will need those 1.5 or 2.0 GB of vram.

Quadro cards run for $2500, but they are worth it if you handle very but very large finite element or CFD models.

Hope apple add them as BTO. or even better, add NVIDIA Quadro Plex as BTO. :D

18. Bubba Satori macrumors 601

Bubba Satori

Quadro and FirePro cards start at $400. There are some excellent Quadro and FirePro cards in the $700-$900 range. None of which can be used in the new MacPro :mad: