where is the rest of the GB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by apple.fan, May 28, 2010.

1. apple.fan macrumors member

apple.fan

My macbook pro has 500GB and only 360GB free but i only have +/- 105GB with my files and programs etc...

What's filling the memory?

I already use the app "clean my mac".

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

3. bigjobby macrumors 65816

A chunk of your missing GBs is taken up by the file system (HFS+). Not sure how much in terms of % of overall drive capacity (but I'm sure google can tell you somewhere). So basically speaking, you can never get the capacity that's stated by the manufacturer due to formatting.

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Are you sure you're missing space? 500GB formatted is around 465GB. Snow Leopard confuses things since it incorrectly shows the hard drive capacity as a base-10 number, but if you are "properly" reading the capacity it should be less.

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The Snow Leopard way of displaying hard drive space actually 'unconfuses'. The ISO value of 'giga' is 10^9, and so now Apple and the HDD manufacturers actually are in agreement in reporting the capacity of the hard drive.

apple.fan select your 500GB hard drive in the Finder and bring up the 'Get Info' on it (command - I). If should tell you what it thinks is the total usage is.