Where is the rumoured 14" Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Macbook14in, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Macbook14in macrumors regular

12" Macbook, 13" mBP, 15" mBP... Apple is missing out on the 14" notebook marketshare

2. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

What rumoured 14" MacBook? The only rumours have come from forum users and not from any supply chain sources or people in the know. Look at at it this way, Apple have laid their cards out with 12"/2lb, 13"/3lb and 15"/4lb models - what would be the point of a 14" model? There is no need for a bigger model for the core M chips as they won't get any faster and Apple would rather shrink the size/weight than increase the screen size of the 13". In a couple of iterations, either the 13" nonTB or the 12" will be $999, the MBA will be retired and the new order will be in place.

3. lowkey macrumors 6502

Um, there hasn't been any rumours of a 14" MB in the pipeline.

4. andy9l macrumors 68000

Ah, the legendary 14" notebook market! /s

The rMB is an "ultra portable". 14" is not ultra portable by Apple's own current definitions. It would have a larger footprint than the 13" Pro, muddying the current clarity of the product line (ignoring the Airs).

This crystal clear line-up:

12" - Low power, ultra portable
    13" - Mid power, very portable
    15" - High power, portable

...would become:

12" - Low power, ultra portable
    13" - Mid power, very portable
    14" - Low power, portable
    15" - High power, portable

Nonsensical, and ultimately a pointless product.

5. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

The 14 inch MacBook air rumor died a long time ago as far as I know.

6. maerz001 macrumors 6502

maerz001

Name it pointless but 2 out of 3 people would go for a bigger MB:
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/who-is-interested-in-a-bigger-macbook.2043352/

And how do you define portable?
    Is it size or weight? Apple could do a 14" MB with the weight of the 13"MBP but the thinness of the 12" MB.
    Believe it or not but there are a lot of people who just don't need the power of a quad core CPU.
    and would be more than happy with just a bigger screen by not paying double the price compared to the 15" MBP

7. andy9l macrumors 68000

20 out of 31 people who visit a Mac enthusiast forum in their spare time would be interested in a new Mac. Funny that.

I don't define it. Apple does, and it's the 12" MacBook.

8. maerz001, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017

maerz001 macrumors 6502

maerz001

Well when the MAC enthusiast sees there is a point than the average Joe even more. They just see the size and price. They don't even care or know about the difference between GB and GHz.

Looking at public places you hardly see any 15" MBP. And that not because it's too big. It's because it's expensive. So you could call this a pointless product from a market share point of view. Yet they make it because they make money with it.

A 14" MB for $1599 would sell like hot pretzels

9. Macbook14in thread starter macrumors regular

Tim Cook misses the big picture, he chose to focus on the iPad instead.

10. sakabaro macrumors regular

I would personally love 14" in the form of the 12" with dual 5w cpu, 16gb of ram and 1tb of ssd. I would pay $4000 for this in heartbeat.

11. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

And you'd be one of the few that could afford to. I also would like a low cost large screen option something akin to the LG gram 15 at 2.2 lbs but running Mac OS.

12. sublunar macrumors 6502

There was a rumour doing the rounds a long while ago which would have seen the 12" Macbook joined by 14" Macbook Pro and 16" Macbook Pro models. Perhaps with higher resolution displays. It seems likely that to keep them thin they have sacrificed the idea of higher resolution displays at any size which would have been a power drain.

You do wonder, though, with the possibility of 6 Core, 12 thread i7 Coffee Lake machines popping around within 12 months whether Apple could be receptive to the idea of resurrecting a 17" halo model, with more powerful GPU, keyboard addressed, bigger battery and returning the ports that pros were dying for. The headline spec item would clearly be a 4k IPS DCI-P3 display but they'd explain that the weight would be a lot less than the previous 2011 model and the machine would be highly useful for people looking to edit 4k content in the field.

This would be under the proviso that Intel would be making certain i5 CPUs hyper threaded like the i7 at the moment and introducing i3 CPUs that also had hyper threading enabled as has already happened with some Kaby Lake models. Apple therefore would explore the possibility of adding lower power CPU to enable even thinner 13" and 15" models - or improving battery life to better levels by reducing system power consumption.