Where is the sidebar + toolbar on mounted drives? [10.6.3]

Discussion in 'macOS' started by manu08, Jun 8, 2010.

1. manu08 macrumors newbie

Ok so I have Snow Leopard [10.6.3] installed on my 13" MBP & I'm really confused about this one thing, why do none of my mounted images ever have the sidebar or toolbar when I open them from the desktop? :confused:

I know I can enable it manually by clicking View > Show Toolbar/Sidebar but it doesn't remember the setting after I disconnect & reconnect/remount the drive. Every time I connect my flash drive, or my external hard drive [NTFS formatted] I have to click View > Show Toolbar/Sidebar or use the keyboard shortcut but I want finder to show me the toolbar & sidebar by default on all mounted drives. Anyone know how to get this done?

By default I'd like all finder windows to always have the sidebar & toolbar enabled.

Thanks for the help =)

PS. Safari 5 is super awesome.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Open View Options (CMD+J) while you have opened a window and configured it to your liking and press the USE AS DEFAULTS button. See if that works.

3. manu08 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've already set my default options. I just mounted a dmg file to see if I can set it as default settings for the mounted drive as well but it only is for the options that are shown in the 'view options' window such as grid spacing & icon size.

The toolbar & sidebar don't have any effect from this.

Do you have a Mac running Snow Leopard too? Can you please see if the same issue occurs on your Mac as well? Just mount any dmg file you got or even connect a flash/hard disk drive and see if you have the toolbar & sidebar enabled by default by when you open the mounted drive from the desktop.

I'm honestly quite confused with this. Lol.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I did open a .dmg file, after I clicked on it and it finished mounting, a window with the .dmg file's content appeared, without the Sidebar. When I used a window with sidebar (and also closed the window with out the Sidebar) and selected the mounted image on the left side and then selected another item on the Sidebar and double clicked on the mounted disk image icon which is on my Desktop, the window suddenly had a Sidebar and shown me the .dmg's contents in List View.

I also tried the circled button, but it didn't stay that way (with Sidebar).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. manu08 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was messing around with the settings & suddenly it started working for my external hard drive. Now every time I connect my external hard drive & open it from the desktop the finder window does indeed show the sidebar + toolbar.

Not sure if it also works for other external drives, I still need to check this.

But, it does not hold for mounted drives/images so mounting a dmg file still has no luck with appearance of the sidebar + toolbar.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Dat der button woiks just fine wit my flash drive.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Exactly. Have you been drinking again? :p