Where is the Siri-like dictation?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by monsieurpaul, Mar 16, 2012.

1. monsieurpaul macrumors regular

I am unable to find the "microphone" key on the new keyboard. Do you know where you can activate it ?

2. identity macrumors 6502

You should've been given an option when you set up the ipad to enable the dictation. You can do it under general, then keyboard.

3. monsieurpaul thread starter macrumors regular

Shame on me. General > keyboard was the first place where I checked for it and I didnt see it even if it was right before my eyes.
    Thanks anyway.

4. tootall, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

tootall macrumors regular

OK just got my answer. Changed the language to english and it appears! I don't recall reading that it was an english only feature!!!?! I am not very happy customer, this was one of the reasons I bought an "new" iPad.

EDIT: I have switched back to french and now "Dictée" appears...that is odd. Now it works great.

So this is a trick for languages other than English: Switch to English, enable Dictation and then switch back to your language.

EDIT 2: just found that the french keyboard has the microphone for dictations, it is the French Canadian that does not have it...