Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monsieurpaul

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
I am unable to find the "microphone" key on the new keyboard. Do you know where you can activate it ?

identity

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2011
You should've been given an option when you set up the ipad to enable the dictation. You can do it under general, then keyboard.

monsieurpaul

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Shame on me. General > keyboard was the first place where I checked for it and I didnt see it even if it was right before my eyes.
Thanks anyway.

tootall

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2011
Quebec, Canada
Sorry I really do not see it, I guess that retina display is blinding me! Really where is it please? Is it available if your system is in french?

OK just got my answer. Changed the language to english and it appears! I don't recall reading that it was an english only feature!!!?! I am not very happy customer, this was one of the reasons I bought an "new" iPad.

EDIT: I have switched back to french and now "Dictée" appears...that is odd. Now it works great.

So this is a trick for languages other than English: Switch to English, enable Dictation and then switch back to your language.

EDIT 2: just found that the french keyboard has the microphone for dictations, it is the French Canadian that does not have it...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.