Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oirectine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2003
Maryland
I could've sworn this option was present before. Then I noticed in Mail that some were swiping LEFT to delete while others were swiping RIGHT. So I went back to the swiping options, and can't find any option to delete from swiping. WTF, Apple? This is another annoying non-Apple like problem with iOS 8. It seems like every day I'm discovering some weird new bug or unintuitive feature. Grrr.

Edit: Alright, so I re-enabled swipe left = flag and swipe right = archive. BUT, some messages are swipe left = archive, right = trash and some are swipe left = trash and right = archive. This is absolute madness!!

Also when I completely disable swipe options, I can still swipe some messages, and they will stay partway off the screen until I swipe them back. Dammit, Apple!

Last edited:

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Where is the swipe-to-delete option in Mail?

Mine doesn't give me the option in Swipe settings but it still trashes emails when I swipe left. Weird.

Oirectine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2003
Maryland
Setting > Mail > Swipe option

OK, yes, but I just don't get why delete and archive are reversed in some messages.

----------

Mine doesn't give me the option in Swipe settings but it still trashes emails when I swipe left. Weird.

Weird, indeed. Not working as you'd expect. In other words, Apple dropped the ball. Every day I run into another annoying iOS 8 'gotcha' like this.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Send me a screen shot. I don't see delete in the options. Only flag, archive and mark as read.

----------

Weird, indeed. Not working as you'd expect. In other words, Apple dropped the ball. Every day I run into another annoying iOS 8 'gotcha' like this.

Yes. Swipegate!

Oirectine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2003
Maryland
Yes. Swipegate!

It may not really be a big deal that some messages swipe left and some swipe right to delete, but when you have 10 emails you quickly swipe through and now 4 of them are deleted when you expected them to be archived, that is kind of annoying. And these small issues are really adding up for me.:(

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
The swipe is painted different colors for different actions. Red is trash. Blue is Archive. And there's always shake to undo.

I'm glad Apple adopted the swipes from the Mail third party app. And I'm glad I have trash and archive as my left and right swipe options.

Oirectine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2003
Maryland
The swipe is painted different colors for different actions. Red is trash. Blue is Archive. And there's always shake to undo.

Those are IMO, lame excuses. Let's have it work intuitively and consistently in the first place so we don't need to check the color of every swipe or undo our mistakes.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Where is the swipe-to-delete option in Mail?

Those are IMO, lame excuses. Let's have it work intuitively and consistently in the first place so we don't need to check the color of every swipe or undo our mistakes.

Dude, that's how it's supposed to work. That there's a glitch in the settings is not interfering with the function of swipe.

I'm not interested in moaning about Apple. Yes, they are human and as such a prone to making mistakes from time to time. It is so stipulated.

Their products are still awesome. Not interested in Apple bashing. Thank you.

Oirectine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2003
Maryland
Dude, that's how it's supposed to work. That there's a glitch in the settings is not interfering with the function of swipe.

I'm not interested in moaning about Apple. Yes, they are human and as such a prone to making mistakes from time to time. It is so stipulated.

Their products are still awesome. Not interested in Apple bashing. Thank you.

That's my point. That Apple messed up. This is one of many bugs and "gotchas" I've noticed in iOS 8--most small and able to be worked around, like this one, but some not so small. It's not Apple bashing to point out that their QC really dropped the ball here. Just take a look at all the threads full of bugs and annoyed customers. Personally I've had more annoying, frustrating moments in iOS 8 in the past week and a half than any previous release, and I've been using Apple products for quite a while (check my membership date). They screwed up on this one. I just hope they learn from their mistakes next time.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Do you have multiple accounts and are you seeing the inconsistent behaviour in the unified inbox?

I find the swipe options a little confusing, and may not have understood your issue properly, but when you select 'Archive' in the Swipe Right settings screen, it says: Accounts that include Archive as a default action for swiping will offer Delete for swiping right.

Does this help clear things up?

lemieuxfan67

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
I figured out what was confusing me is SOME messages swipe left to delete and SOME swipe right to delete. It's bonkers!

My iCloud e-mails will delete when swiping left, but I have my gmail e-mails set to archive when swiping left. If you have multiple e-mail accounts setup this could explain action you are seeing.

urtules

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
I want the same behavior for my iCloud and Gmail.
Settings : "accounts that include archive as default action..."
How are we can change this defaults?

urtules

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Trying to toggle this, but this is not giving any results. Maybe I need to delete and re-add my gmail.

uAgnhIh.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.