Where is the Trash located on HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by djluckyn, Jul 19, 2012.

1. djluckyn macrumors newbie

Hi,

My old Mbp just died on me yesterday and I bought a brand new one today. I opened the old one and retrieved the HD which is now in an enclosure.

As of right now, I am unable to find a file that I urgently need. I might have trashed it by mistake. Is there any way to check the trash on an external HD? If yes, where? If it requires the terminal plz let me know steps as I'm a big NOOB with the terminal.

Everything is there(pictures, files, music, video), I just can't seem to find where the trash is located.

Thanks in advance :)

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Tends to be .Trashes at the root of each volume. Given that your external could be mounting to any name under /Volumes it's difficult to state exactly what to type.

Open the terminal (with the external connected and mounted)
    Type "cd /Volumes"
    Hit return or enter
    Type "ls"
    Hit return or enter

All mounted disks that are not your startup disk will be listed. Work out which one is the external and type

"cd <disk name here>/.Trashes"
    Hit return

Note <disk name here> is meant to be replaced with the name you found out after the ls. Don't type <disk name here>!

Now you should be in the Trash on the external.

Type "open ." and hit return. You may well need to be root for this to work...

3. chown33 macrumors 604

There is another per-user trash folder, located in each user's home folder. Its name is ".Trash".

4. rsrs922 macrumors newbie

To see the trash file, open Terminal and type the following:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true
    When you do this, you basically reveal all hidden files. Then press Command + Option + Esc and Relaunch Finder. Open your User folder in your HD and there you can see a folder named ".Trash" That is your Trash folder. Once you have retrieved your files, you can hide the hidden files again by typing this:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool false
    So just change true to false and relaunch Finder again.
    Hope this helped!