Resolved Where is the Xcode 5 download?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by donutbagel, Aug 11, 2013.

1. donutbagel, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013

donutbagel macrumors 6502a

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

If you have a paid account, you can access the Xcode 5 beta (it's not available publicly yet because it's not out of beta yet,) by going to:

developer.apple.com

Click on the "Developer Center" link for either iOS or OS X, whichever one you have a paid account with.

Make sure you're logged in.

Then at the top of the iOS dev center you should see a link for "iOS 7 SDK beta" or, if you're in the OS X dev center, "OS X Mavericks". Click on that.

After clicking on that, scroll down to the Downloads section of the page, find the latest version of the Xcode 5 (currently it's Developer Preview 5) and click on the "Download" button next to it.

I'd like to emphasis that Xcode 5 is in beta, and if you're not working on an application exclusively for iOS 7 or OS X Maverick, neither of which are yet released nor have release plans any more solid than "Fall 2013", you should be using Xcode 4, which you can download from the Mac App Store for free.

3. donutbagel thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aha, got it! Thank you. I didn't notice that link for iOS 7 SDK beta and was searching around for links on the wrong pages.

I'm in an internship, and my boss told me to get Xcode 5 beta because he did. A couple of the things in the app are a bit better to do in iOS 7 due to some new features.

4. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Ok. Personally, I have Xcode 4.6.3 and Xcode 5 DP 5 on all of my computers. Betas have a nasty tendency to crash themselves or corrupt existing data - that's just the nature of software that hasn't yet been thoroughly tested.

I've already had Xcode 5's beta destroy a core data model file I had - I had to rebuild it from scratch from memory. (Going through it with a text editor, from what I could tell, Xcode had somehow screwed up a relationship and made it point in multiple directions. I reported it to Apple... thus far they've marked it as a duplicate of another bug report they got, I don't think they've marked it resolved yet...)

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

What? No backup, Art? :(

6. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I think there might have been a copy of it on Dropbox I could have gotten or possibly there was a sleeping MacBook that had a working copy of the model file...