Where is ther AppleTv Preset on Handbrake?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by amb1s1, May 11, 2009.

1. amb1s1 macrumors newbie

I keep reading the appletv preset on Handbrake, but I don't see it. Also, is there any Handbrake alternative because handbrake takes too long, but I don't know if it is normal because I'm looking for quality on the conversion, not file size. I have over 120 movies and I'm in the debate to convert all those movie to save some storage and at the same time keeping the same or almost equal quality. Thanks

2. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Make sure you are using the latest version of HB. There is an option to update the presets. Make sure you open the presets 'drawer' on the right hand side of the window.

HB is the fastest encoder I think, it supports multi-cores. H.264 is very complex, so it does take time. Perhaps future versions will support OpenCL to take advantage of your GPU for increased speed.

3. rspeaker macrumors 6502

To keep the the quality near/at DVD quality, try the Universal preset (make sure you have the latest version of Handbrake, 0.9.3, and have updated the presets.) For TV shows, experiment with decomb and detelecine enabled (I leave these on for all my rips; as I understand, they will fix errors if they are present, but not mess up the encode if they aren't.)

If you're looking for quality (as I am,) expect conversions to take a long time. I have a CD 1.83GHz iMac with 2GB RAM, and an average movie takes 4-6 hours to rip with the Universal setting. I do most of my encoding overnight.

4. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Why would a person with an Apple TV use the Universal Preset? Why not use the Apple TV preset?

A.

5. motownflip macrumors regular

handbrake keeps quit unexpectedly on me. Very frustrating.:mad:

6. eddyg macrumors 6502

In case they ever want to see the movie on an iPod or iPhone?

The quality is the same as with the Apple TV preset, just larger file size to achieve that quality since there are some compression mechanisms that the Apple TV can use that the iPhone and iPods can't (B-frame in particular).

Cheers, Ed.

7. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Wait, I thought the order for file size was :apple:TV>universal>iPod

Is that incorrect? :confused:

8. eddyg macrumors 6502

Universal > :apple:TV > iPod

With Universal and :apple:TV having the same quality.

9. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Are you absolutely positive? When then does the :apple:TV setting have "Large file size" clicked, where universal does not? :confused:

If that is true, then why is there an :apple:TV setting at all? Wouldn't universal suffice?

P.S. I do rip to universal by default, but I always thought I was giving up some quality...

10. eddyg macrumors 6502

Yep.

I'm not entirely sure, maybe some of the older iPods can't handle 64bit MP4s? I know that the iPod touch and iPhone can.

File size - you get a lower file size for the same quality at the expense of more CPU required to *decode*.

Nope - Constant Quality is just that - constant.

Cheers, Ed.

11. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Gotcha, this was the part I wasn't wraping my head around... :eek:

Thanks eddyg! Learn something new everyday! :D

12. Alrescha macrumors 68020

From the Handbrake documentation:

"The AppleTV preset uses a max of 960*720
    The Universal preset uses a max of 720*540 for HD and anamorphic 720*480 (or 576) for DVD"

That's a bit more than 'just larger file size'. I'm not claiming that everyone would see such a difference, but I think the Apple TV preset exists for a reason. The way to create 'universal' output is to accomodate the lowest common denominator, and until the iPod specifications meet the Apple TV's, the Apple TV preset seems a better choice if that's what you are encoding for.

A.

13. NightStorm macrumors 68000

That's true... the AppleTV preset will use a higher resolution for HD sources, since it is compatible with that device (but still limited to 540p -- the lowest common denominator to ensure compatibility with all HD sources). For DVD sources, there is no difference other than what eddyg has already stated. If you encode a HD movie with the Universal preset, it will restrict the resolution to ensure compatibility with all devices.

14. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Thanks for the clarification. The preset documentation page says:

"HandBrake's AppleTV preset will scale down high definition video to 960*540"

and

"With 4:3 material:

The AppleTV preset uses a max of 960*720"

Is this accurate?

Thanks again,

A.

15. dynaflash macrumors 68020

To be precise, the atv preset scales down to 540p only because of the 25 fps max framerate restriction on 720p. Otherwise it would be 720p.

Obviously if you know your source is max of 25 fps you can go up to 720p for the atv preset.