Where is this feature?

scottct1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
Connecticut USA
One of the most exciting WatchOS 6 features to me was the ability to listen to thousands of radio stations using your Watch (without the need of a phone)
Well WatchOS 6 is here and no sign of this feature.

Anyone know when its coming?

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2012
One of the most exciting WatchOS 6 features to me was the ability to listen to thousands of radio stations using your Watch (without the need of a phone)
Well WatchOS 6 is here and no sign of this feature.

Anyone know when its coming?
I'm confused, the article doesn't mention Watch OS at all. Would love this, but haven't heard of it.

Reactions: Dwood1970

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
Yeah, that'd be an awesome feature - and would potentially sell a bunch of cellular models - but haven't seen anything suggesting the feature was slated for WatchOS6. Just iphones and homepods.

Reactions: Dwood1970

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
Whoops wrong link. :)

Radio streaming — Coming later this month, Apple Watch will be able to stream live radio from iHeartRadio, Radio.com, and TuneIn stations directly over the Internet
Edit - I see you updated the link when I was typing.

Though 9to5mac makes the claim, they still cite the article below which doesn't mention an Apple Watch as having the capability. So I wonder if 9to5mac goofed?

Original:
I'm still not seeing any mention of the Apple Watch in the July 1st article you cited. Quoting the text from the site, copied & pasted. Could you guide me to where it mentions the watch?

Apple starts to roll out support to play 100,000 radio stations with Siri on iPhone and HomePod
Benjamin Mayo - Jul. 1st 2019 4:02 am PT @bzamayo​
As announced at WWDC, Apple is bringing live radio stations from several online providers for Siri users on iPhone, iPad and HomePod. Although marketed as a fall iOS 13 feature, Siri live radio is already partly working on the HomePod, and for iPhones and iPads running the iOS 13 beta.​
Apple said that it will be sourcing from TuneIn, iHeartRadio and Radio.com — touting a total figure above 100,00 stations. This should mean there is a decent selection of top stations available to play. It’s not clear if all integrations are live yet but many stations are now accessible on the HomePod, running the existing OS.​
Macerkopf reported that many German stations are also available now through the HomePod, suggesting a global deployment.​
For instance, asking my HomePod to “play radio station BBC Radio One” results in the Siri response “Playing BBC Radio One, provided by TuneIn.” and the audio starts playing. You can also start other radio stations just by saying their name.​
Obviously, this is finding internet radio streams rather than real terrestrial radio. Nevertheless, audio quality of the stream was very high on the stations we tested, and it sounded great on the HomePod’s speakers.​
Siri is a bit picky about the phrasing of your request; without key words like ‘radio station’ in the question, Siri algorithm falls back to Apple Music searches. However, if you are careful to phrase it appropriately, many stations are now available. Of course, Apple could tweak the voice recognition understanding by the ‘official’ fall launch.​

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK
I think this feature is also region dependent - when it was quoted earlier in the year it mentioned the use of services that were, for example, not available in the UK where I live so it's not going to benefit all.

My main hope is our own BBC either allows this or creates a standlone app that we can use for Radio :p

scottct1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
Connecticut USA
More mentions of it, including here at Mac Rumors.

Apps can take advantage of new APIs so you can do things like follow along with a workout or listen to streaming music from third-party services, and some built-in Apple Watch apps can be removed now that they're not tied to the iPhone.

5. Third Party Apps Will Be Able to Stream Music, Radio and Podcasts
This is going to be very exciting once watchOS 6 is released to the public in Fall 2019. The final version will enable streaming features for music apps, radio apps, and podcast apps. This means that apps like Spotify and Overcast will be able to stream media from their servers directly to the Apple Watch without the need for an iPhone. This is going to be a great feature for the cellular Apple Watch.

watchOS 6 streaming audio
A new API is coming with watchOS 6, that will allow your Apple Watch to directly stream audio away from your iPhone.

New developer tools include an audio API to stream music, radio and podcasts

Streaming Audio
With watchOS 6, your app can now steam audio so user can stay connected to episodes, albums, audiobooks, radio, and more wherever they go.

WatchOS 6 will include streaming audio API, allowing wearers to take their favorite radio stations, live sports games, and podcasts with them wherever they go, without the need for their iPhone.

Here is a video on the feature from Apple. https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/716/

Streaming Audio on watchOS 6
Streaming audio on Apple Watch allows customers to enjoy your content wherever they go without their iPhone.

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2012
Thanks, hopefully some apps implement this soon. Seems like it would be a nice addition.

scottct1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
Connecticut USA
Normally on release day, apps are updated to take advantage of the new features of the os. Not so in this case, which is disappointing.