Where is Top Paid apps for newsstand gone?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by batmanforevez, Nov 18, 2011.

1. batmanforevez macrumors newbie

Might be a silly question, but I can't seem to browse the top paid for apps on newsstand anymore like all the other categories!!

Does anyone know if this is still possible as I find this a good indication of what people are buying?

Thanks

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes I don't see it either. Honestly, I wonder what's going on with newsstand. Some time after iOS 5 came out, NYT remains the only news app I use that made the jump. All the rest continue to live outside the newsstand. I was surprised there actually are 25 paid newsstand apps that could make up a top paid list.

3. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Seems like Newsstand was a half-baked idea. There are a couple of random apps when you click on the store.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oddly, if you click store from newsstand (at least in the US) you get only a few news apps, but if you go to the newsstand category in the App Store app, you see many more, although they're mostly low volume / odd stuff.

5. szolr macrumors 6502

6. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Hopefully they're giving Newsstand the axe. That unwanted icon is crime against good taste.

Paying for news that is legally distributed online for free is not exactly a great idea either. Online news sources should stick with the advertisers supporting the basic content, while restricting access to premium content to paying customers as most credible online news sources do.

Plus, as successfully being done by the Financial Times, perhaps cutting Apple out as a middleman by developing a great web app is the way to go.