Where is Touch Bar and Touch ID?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rhyzome, Jun 11, 2017.

1. rhyzome macrumors regular

Where is the touch bar and touch ID in the new MacBook 12"!?? Why has this not been included in the recent update?

2. Asmoday macrumors member

3. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Cost and space.

(And let's remember that if it did have Touch Bar and Touch ID - as I am sure it eventually will - this forum would instead be full of "why is the new MacBook $300 more?", and "why does the battery last two hours less than last year?".)

4. Qu1ckset macrumors regular

Qu1ckset

Touch Bar would have been a no buy for me, Touch ID would have been cool tho

5. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

Apple purposely left that out to entice people to pay more for it in the pro model.

Also, as someone else said, probably not enough space.

6. fokmik macrumors 68030

no room for the 12 MB since the FN keys row is smaller and no room to fit the touchid and T1 chip into that chassis

7. Appleaker macrumors 68020

There is enough room to fit a Touch Bar. But as for the T1 chip, that would be a struggle with the logic board constraints.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 11, 2017 ---
    I understand why you would want it (I do too), but why would you think they would include it in the 2017 12" MB?
    Did the retina display come to the MacBook Air in 2013? No. It's a Pro exclusive feature and will likely be for a few more years.

There's of course a chance that, because of the mixed feedback received regarding the Touch Bar, that they could include one sooner than expected, in a high end model. I hope they do that as it really is suited to the target market of the 12" MacBook.

8. aleni macrumors 68020

believe me, touchbar sucks right now. touch ID is cool though.

9. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I was going to say, as someone who has a touchbar MBP, you don't need it. Unless you look at your keyboard all the time, you forget it's even there. I changed it back to the default function keys because I never use the app-specific layouts.

10. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

I'm more surprised they didn't add touchbar to that space grey iMacPro keyboard.

11. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

I'm personally thrilled to see that there is no Touch Bar on this machine… Instantly makes it one of the best ones

12. robbietop macrumors regular

robbietop

I played around with the Touch Bar in store but I can honestly say that in my browsing habits, I don't have time for expensive gimmicks :D

Touch Bar is cute, but not for an advanced user. Unless some people are used to leaving the keyboard every few seconds.

13. Qu1ckset macrumors regular

Qu1ckset

I wonder if sales % is with MBP wTB vs MBP nTB , cause if the adoption rate is terrible maybe they will discontinue it?

on the internet it doesn't seem a lot of people want it, but the internet and real world sales can be way off

14. Rigby macrumors 601

The problem is that the non-Touchbar MBP is crippled (only 2 ports, slower CPU), so it's not a fair comparison. If they were identical except for the Touchbar, personally I'd always choose the non-Touchbar version in a heartbeat (if only to have a real escape key for vi ;)).

15. Kilgrave macrumors newbie

I agree with what others have said - I have no need for the touchbar itself, but touchID built into the power button would have been appreciated.

As a middle ground it would be great to see Apple add a feature to macOS to allow the touchID on the iPhone to authorise online payments etc on the MacBook.

16. Rigby macrumors 601

That's exactly what Apple Pay in Safari does. :) If you have an Apple Watch you can also use that (for both Apple Pay and unlocking the computer).

I don't really see a big need for Touch ID on a Mac. Even if you have to enter a password, it's much easier than on an iOS device since you have a real keyboard.

17. Kilgrave macrumors newbie

Well now I look stupid! Just goes to show that despite "wanting" a feature, I've never actually tried to use it!

18. puh macrumors newbie

19. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

yes and no. The average person is never going to notice the speed difference. Also the price difference probably pushes more people to the nTB. I really wish they offered a new 15" without it.

Like others, it is annoying to use because it totally defeats muscle memory and using a keyboard. I know I do not want to look down to see what is there when I launch an app.