Where is Tweetie 2.1?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Maverickster, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Maverickster macrumors regular

2. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

This is Apple we're talking about. There's no telling how long it'll be before we see the update in the App Store. I'm looking forward to version 2.1. Did he say whether or not Lists will be supported in this update, or will that come in Tweetie 2.2?

3. Maverickster thread starter macrumors regular

Based on what I've read, Lists appears to have caught him somewhat off-guard, but supposedly there's going to be, essentially, a beta feature of some sort. Here's the best article I found on the subject:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/11/0...th-retweet-geolocation-and-some-list-support/

--Mav

4. Zman3001 macrumors member

Well thats the problem. Instead of keeping the consumers informed, he chooses to talk to tech blogs to keep up his fame. Even his twitter feed doesn't have any real updates on 2.1, just bitching on how he can't get his new magic mouse to work.

I wouldn't be surprised if 2.1 cost another 3 bucks.

Meanwhile, the developer of Twittelator Pro has been telling everyone how to activate the new geotagging and already supports the new retweet function.

5. Maverickster thread starter macrumors regular

Nah, it's an actual update as opposed to an overhaul (which I don't blame him for charging for). As for the competition, honestly, there is none (except, maybe, birdfeed). Just one man's opinion though.

6. Zman3001 macrumors member

You sure? SimplyTweet has push. Twittelator has retweet and geotagging support. Plus the developers of both constantly update their programs with new and better tools.

7. IronLogik macrumors 6502

It's all a matter of opinion.

My opinion is Tweetie and Birdfeed are the only two Twitter clients worth having. Both are very well done in terms of user interface. The others are too cluttered and stuff is badly designed. Read the blog entry about Birdfeed's geolocation support. Honestly, it's brilliant. It's these types of things you DON'T see in those "support everything" apps like Twittelator and such. Birdfeed's developer and designer take their time figuring out how best to do something. It may take them longer but in the end the design is much better.

For me it isn't about the features per say. It's about how seamlessly the features are integrated and how much sense it makes when you use them. I hate hunting for how to use a feature. Just because you can think of a neat way of making a feature also doesn't mean you should cram it into your app. Simplicity is fantastic and too many features clutter your UI and make users scream.

Birdfeed is probably the only twitter app i've used that is actually EASY to read. you can easily distinguish between your tweets, your friends tweets, mentions, etc. The colors aren't obnoxious, the spacing is fantastic, and the font size is perfect. Attention to detail is what matters for me. I'd shoot myself in the skull after using ugly apps like Twittelator for a week.

Again, that's my OPINION. You're welcome to have your own. But realize that what works for you doesn't mean it will work for someone else. You may not have the same priorities in a twitter client as me. That's perfectly acceptable. Variety is a good thing and so is competition.

8. knoxtown macrumors 6502

Echofon blows Tweetie out of the water as far as features go.

9. Maverickster thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I'm sure. It's about the interface. But...that's not what this thread is about. There are plenty of "which twitter app is the best" threads out there. This conversation should be had there, not here.

--Mav

But, again, it's about more than that. Echofon's a cumbersome POS, imnsho. Again though, wrong thread....

--Mav

+1 in all respects.

--Mav

10. Zman3001 macrumors member

My point was that with all of the competing apps constantly updating and their developers in constant contact with the consumer, you would think the tweetie developer would have learned his lesson by now on customer satisfaction and would have stopped being a fame seeking ass only talking to tech blogs.

11. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

That is one thing that has irked me about Tweetie - very little communication from the developer to the customers. I check his Twitter page frequently, and there's never any updates or info on the progress of the app.

12. bozzykid macrumors 68020

I think most people are very satisfied with Tweetie. Because of the way the App Store approval process works, this could cost a developer a lot of money if they talk about the new features are coming. There is no assurance when an app will be approved so another app could steal their ideas very easily and get approval first. At the end of the day Tweetie is a great Twitter client. I (and I would imagine most people), really don't care if the developer doesn't spend his time posting about it on his Twitter account.

13. IronLogik macrumors 6502

Yup. A few people pointed it out. He probably isn't talking about a lot of the features since the Twitter client space is very competitive in terms of purchases. There's A LOT of apps and it helps to distinguish yourself. If you start showing off features before release it will be copied.

14. Maverickster thread starter macrumors regular

O.K., seriously, this whole whet the public's appetite thing to create anxiety is very Apple-like, but seriously, WHERE IS IT?! http://tinyurl.com/ydenstg

15. The General macrumors 601

Loren submitted it to Apple yesterday.

[​IMG]

16. Maverickster thread starter macrumors regular

Sweet. Very nice insight. Mac Rumors leaves up to the name....

--Mav

17. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

No mention of the dark theme.

Seems unimportant but the lack of themes really bothers me for some reason.

18. The General macrumors 601

There are no themes in 2.1c. The only visual options are font size and pinstriping on/off.

If anyone has any other questions about 2.1c, I'd be happy to answer them.

19. Maverickster thread starter macrumors regular

Is geotag enabled? Can I set it to automatically geotag every tweet or do I need to manually do it each time?

Does the RT convention allow me to add a comment to a RT and keep it in the "system" or does adding a comment just post it like an old-style RT? Can you even add comments to RTs anymore?

Can you search for lists?

Thanks General!!

20. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

21. The General macrumors 601

Yes and yes.

Thankfully, there is no longer an "RT" style retweet. You can quote a tweet, though, and when you quote a tweet you can add a comment to it.

Not from what I can tell.