Where located?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lmrapp, Dec 18, 2014.

1. lmrapp macrumors newbie

When you remove an attachment from Apple Mail (OS X 10.10), where does it go? I can't find them. Thanks,

Larry

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What do you mean remove. If you delete it, then it disappears.

3. lmrapp thread starter macrumors newbie

In the menu: Message -> Remove Attachments (at the bottom). When I say "remove attachment", that's what I mean. I know about delete - that's not what I mean. Thanks,

Larry

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

It's not clear to me either, Mike. I know you're a smart guy. We both can't be dense.

Larry, it sounds like a command to remove an attachment from a message you're sending. To put an attachment from an incoming message somewhere, I just open it and then do SaveAs. I need to see it anyway to decide if I want it.

5. lmrapp thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, like a dope I did a "Remove Attachments". I wasn't given an opportunity to say where I wanted the damn things, they just disappeared. I looked for them with the Finder, but I couldn't find them anywhere. When I go back to the original email in Mail, it says (for one of them)
    "[the attachment SSICLIMS91683NH.pdf has been manually removed]"
    It says that for all of them (with different names, of course), but it doesn't say "deleted" and I'm just trying to figure out where they are. Thanks for the help.

6. lmrapp thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, after hours of searching, I think I found the answer which is:
    "The attachment(s) is(are) deleted!" They are not moved to trash, they cannot be recovered. Fortunately, I got another email sent with them, but they are NOT moved anywhere, they are simply permanently deleted.

7. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

probably a feature to reduce email sizes.
    remove the attachemnt and an e-mail is a few kilobytes, and a lot of email services will allow rather big files, so having the feature to remove the attachment is simply to edit the mail to reduce mailbox size.

pretty clever.

also mails are basically text objects, so I suppose it's just going in and deleting the attachment information replacing it with that text. this means it's not a real file thus no trash bin to add it to.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well it looks like you got your answer, it does remove it, and it does disappear. I'm glad you had another email to fall back on.

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

So I'm now inferring (since it's never been explicitly stated) that we're talking about an incoming e-mail.

10. lmrapp thread starter macrumors newbie

. I received an email. It had several attachments. I clicked "Remove attachments" thinking it would allow me to save them in some folder. It did remove the attachments, but apparently it just permanently deleted them. Ok, so now I know. From now on I will open them and move them. Apple should have told me this somewhere in the help file. Thanks.
    --Yes. I received an email. It had several attachments. I clicked "Remove attachments" thinking it would allow me to save them in some folder. It did remove the attachments, but apparently it just permanently deleted them. Ok, so now I know. From now on I will open them and move them. Apple should have told me this somewhere in the help file. Thanks.
    --

Larry

Larry

11. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

When you right click an attachment in an email, there is an option to save it to your downloads folder.