Where now for future iMac's?!?!?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NextGenApple, Oct 24, 2012.

1. NextGenApple macrumors regular

Was wondering what route people thought the new iMac will take in a few years! To me its NOT a complete redesign as it looks the same from the front. Yes internals have been incorporated in to the back by using smaller components but at the expense of slower HDD compared to 2011 iMac and non upgradeable ram. (21.5" model)

Its clearly thin on the sides now, with a slight big bump at the back, Apple love thinness yes but from the front it looks the same.

My guess is they will rake in money on this one and 2nd or 3rd gen they will change the look from the front.

Can it get any thinner though? As Apple are obsessed with thinness, don't know why on a desktop

2. wallpaper01 macrumors newbie

Not sure any thinner, they could go in the base like this:

http://www.vizio.com/all-in-one/gallery

Then the screen would be thinner, I actually like this because your wires can be hidden easier.

They will probably up the resolution in a few years. They need to go SSD really, thought they would by standard now but no.

Get rid of the Chin at the front, what's the point of it? Nothing, just extra space for internal components. I do like the Vizio design, think Apple may end up a bit like that?

Dunno!

3. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

Given the general direction of the desktop market to touchscreen and apples open declaration to make OSX more like iOS I'd say this new 'thin' iMac is a step in the direction if one giant iPad :p albeit only slightly more powerful

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I see no general directions towards touch screens for the desktop - its an ergonomic nightmare to be reaching across your desk all the time to touch the screen, instead of using a keyboard and mouse.

5. I8P'CS macrumors 6502

Yep anodised iMac is coming, you just watch. That will be the change in Oct 2013 or 2014 and the early adopters will be angry. I'm holding out to 2nd or 3rd gen. (Few reasons)
    Agree it looks big round the back, whats funny is when phil schiller showed the iMac he tried his best not to show the back. Go watch the keynote again if you don't believe me

6. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

I noticed that - and the pictures on Apple's website try to not show it. If you dig deep down there's one, possibly two pics that sort of show it but still are cleverly taken to ensure it's not emphasised.

7. I8P'CS, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

I8P'CS macrumors 6502

Yep noticed that too buddy!!

It's the illusion to make the mind think your current iMac looks big and you need this new one. I buy when I want, Schiller even tried to get it in to people head with his comment on how the old one looks, sure that was planned. Apple just want more money.

----------

512MB on the 21" same as 2011 model, slower HDD compared to 2011 model, Non upgradeable ram on new Model compared to 2011 model, same look from front of machine etc.

That why i'll wait for 1GB of ram standard better HDD and upgradeable ram, I know Apple well now, this will come in 2nd gen version or 3rd. As well as a change to how it looks from the front/

8. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

I watched the event live and remember thinking that there were a couple of slightly flippant / disparaging comments regarding the new form Vs the previous generation. Also, if memory serves me right there was also a disparaging comment regarding optical drives. Well, I guess Apple have a product to sell and plenty of people will suddenly think their current iMac is somehow obsolete due to this new release.

I'm inclined to agree that this revision is just laying the groundwork for something bigger and better next time around - then again if people are in the market to upgrade then it's a decent revision.

9. nagareru macrumors regular

Yeah I know! Who wants internal components in a computer? Thats just crazy.:rolleyes:

10. MacSignal macrumors regular

:D

And the design aesthetic is lost as soon as you have external peripherals hanging off of it. What next? What else could come out of the case to make it thinner?

11. I8P'CS macrumors 6502

Again, Couldn't agree more, I was in for one but i'm out now, I'll wait until i get more bang for my money, Besides, I just bought high end 21.5" 2011 model in feb couldn't wait as needed it for business.

for what i do i wont see an increase in anything, So if I was to purchase it would be just for my ego, I'd be happy I have the latest "thinner" model but deep down it would look the same when working on it.

For this reason and those mentioned above its not a worthwhile upgrade for me, as I would be throwing money away. Apple has got enough this year from me lol

12. 3lutz3toe macrumors member

The Vizio looks great! Interesting that the base stand is where most of the components are.
    Is this for sale now?

13. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

I'll buy an iMac when you can adjust the height.