Where oh where is the new .Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MattJessop, Jun 12, 2007.

1. MattJessop macrumors regular

MattJessop

That was probably the most disappointing thing for me at WWDC, that .Mac wasn't overhauled :/ I was so sure after Steve said about it at the D5 conference. Oh well. Hope they update it before the end of July (when I get my Macbook) Really wanna get .Mac, just at the state its in at the moment.

The whole "Back to my Mac" was pretty cool, but it did NOT warrant purchasing .Mac sadly.

Anybody else a teensy weensy disappointed?

2. thecritix macrumors 6502

Yes... I even set up an email as a trial account to bagsy my email addy ready for the flood of .mac orders...

absolute joke. terribly disappointed, just can't bring myself to purchase the .mac although I love the features, I just can't bear the minimal storage etc etc etc.

If I buy i'm saying to apple, its ok, when its not...

Why didn't they say ok 10gb online space, make it so good that every leopard user will buy it, and windows will look bare without it. they could have really made it an essential part of leopard they could do so much with .mac, really frustrates me.

Your not alone my friend!

3. MattJessop thread starter macrumors regular

MattJessop

Yeah, I think the two things that would REALLY convince me to switch would be the storage and the pricing (and the latter wouldn't matter if the service was THAT good)

I'd personally be happy with even an increase to 5GB, but really? for £79/$99 a year? That's just not cricket Apple :p

Top list for the new .Mac?

• 10GB Storage (at least)
    • FULL integration of services into Leopard (already got halfway with back to my Mac)
    • Increase bandwidth to make it a suitable host, that would REALLY justify the pricing

4. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

I agree that Back to My Mac should be a universal feature. The bandwidth and storage load would be minimal.

Anyways, does anyone know if Back to My Mac works with remote Windows PCs???

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The more I see what was expected and left out of WWDC, the more disappointed I am. Leopard was nice but no "WOW!" features. No new hardware. No .Mac improvements. No new iLife or iWork (not that I really expected that at a developer's conf).

Oh well....:(

6. sailnavy macrumors member

.Mac Lets see where is the room for improvement

-Storage capacity - It's 99$ a year, lets find something realistic.

-Faster iDisk syncing - mine seems to run awfully slow compared to everything else on the internet.

-Mail - Better up time, and well frankly I'm starting to get junk mail, no idea why, but when I report the same spam to .Mac, it should go away. I shouldn't keep getting it for the next year.

-Syncing - I've seen some patent applications, but frankly I'm tired of getting sync conflicts when I'm not changing anything. I know I have two computers, but isn't that the point of staying in sync?

-Sync - Why can't we come up with something that auto sync's to my bluetooth phone when it gets in range?

-iCal - Why can't I get to my calendars on the web, like I can with Webmail? Yeah, I can publish them, but why in the world can't I edit them?

-Blackberry access to mail- Give me something to read my mail on my Blackberry. GMail has a BB reader, how hard could it be? At least a mobile Web 2.0 version of webmail to get at from a mobile device?

-Syncing - Why can't I sync my documents folder between macs, or at least a designated folder? If I can't get an adequate amount of iDisk space, this could be a cost effective solution, keeps the bandwidth off their servers.

-Address Book - Why can't I see groups in the web version of address book, and allocate contacts amongst them?

.Mac has lots of room to grow. Lots of ways to make itself worth 99$ a year.

Apple, I hope you're listening. I'm sure some of this will be implemented, it's just a matter of time. I too am considering moving to google if .Mac doesn't get their act together soon (yeah, right).

7. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I am not about to ditch .mac, have had my .mac email address since the very beginning when it was free, but I am also starting to get frustrated/depresed. I use to talk it up like it was the best thing since sliced bread but now it is just meh. I do hope they do something to make it sparkle again.. soon too.. although I will continue to pay regardless.. I guess I am not making a strong enough case :rolleyes:

8. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

I find it very surprising that it didn't get updated, considering that SJ acknowledged that they let it down at All Things D. I thought that was a 100% sure indication that they would update it in WWDC.

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

My account is up at the end of this month. Will I be renewing?

No.

10. brandon6684 Guest

I really hope that Back to My Mac feature wasn't the updated .Mac that Steve mentioned, if so, they might as well get rid of .Mac because it's little more than on of those dynamic DNS providers.

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Excellent suggestions.

You should be able to add to your iWeb generated blog from anywhere as well, including on Windows machines.

12. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I thought they normally updated the services for .Mac around September... I can't remember all the times they have updated things, but I thought it was usually a bit later than this.

Has anyone else noticed that webmail is now screwed up because of the Apple site redesign.

At work I have to use webmail on windows, and because the top bar has changed, the bottom of the webmail interface is now cutoff. I can't read the bottom of my e-mail's.

So frustrating.

It'll be available on the iPhone and that's all, you don't need it on any other device.

13. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

14. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

15. MattJessop thread starter macrumors regular

MattJessop

Even Steve Jobs admitted that they'd let down .Mac. This is Steve Jobs, the guy who tries to bury mistakes (in fact, didn't he literally BURY the Apple III?)

Hopefully the silence from Apple on .Mac means that theres a radical change underway.

This was the feature I REALLY wanted to see at WWDC. :(

16. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Sure it can be improved, and is probably overdue, and most like will see an update by October or simultaneous with Leopard release.

But it's $100 a year. Whatever, get over yourself. Get it or don't. I've had it since it was free and called iTools.

17. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i'm in my 3rd year with my account set to expire at the end of July - i currently pay :
    Email Storage: 500 MB
    iDisk Storage: 3536 MB
    Groups Storage: 60 MB
    Total Storage: 4096 MB
    Data Transfer/month: 250 GB Details

all for £ 111.49 per year

mmm not a good deal really :mad:

18. rijiMacDij macrumors regular

Dolt!

It's pretty lame, things don't always work like they should, it costs too much for what you get but I can't live without it. Looks like they've got us by the balls!

What peeves me the most, besides the slooooow iDisc, is the fact that they say you can use an external web editor like dreamweaver etc, but anything I build that is 100% compliant dies on .mac, unless it's like the lame .mac template pages.

And Steve definetly said .mac was getting the treatment on D5.

:mad: :confused: :( :rolleyes: :apple:

19. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i have no issues uploading my sites via Rapidweaver ? you using something special on your sites ?

20. rijiMacDij macrumors regular

No, I just want to do things that go beyond what .mac allows, such as framesets, flash and other fancy stuff.

I just wish it had a bit more scope.

I just want premium rather that barely adequate if that's what I'm paying for.

21. pengu macrumors 6502a

why, oh WHY would you want to? both are extremely over rated and had their day in oh, 1998.

22. sailnavy macrumors member

Isn't that something for the user to decide. Do you really think that I'll be carrying an iPhone and my work BB around with me all day? This could be the primary weakness of iPhone. Business isn't moving away from BB, unless there's something that can do corporate better, and it doesn't look like iPhone is it.

23. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

iPhone is a consumer eye-candy movie, fun internet, maps and such consumer targeted product. Not a smartphone competitor. Sure it give you email, visual voicemail, etc. But it is still targeting the consumer. Not business.

24. rijiMacDij macrumors regular

True, but I am learning this stuff so it's so, like today, to me!