Where on earth is the winzip file?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by neophile, Sep 10, 2013.

1. neophile, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013

neophile macrumors newbie

Hi

I have seemingly lost a file.

I opened a file from a password protected winzip, using the winzip program for OS X. I changed the name and saved it. Continued working on it all day and saved it again before closing it. I did not pay attention to which folder it was in as I thought I had opened an already extracted version of the spreadsheet.

I now cannot find the file in the recent items on Excel or in files modified today using Finder. I ran a command to ensure I could see hidden files, relaunched Finder and ran the search for the filename, to no avail.

When I try to save another file I have opened from winzip in excel, the suggested location, which Excel helpfully tells me has been used before is wzQL.8t0UHS which I assume is a cache. I am assuming that because Excel allowed me to save it and to x out of the document, that it is saved somewhere otherwise it would have thrown an error. When I try to save this new excel file in the wzQl.8t0UHS folder with the same name as the file I am desperately trying to get hold of, it tells me that there is already a file by that name in the folder. But when I try to browse to that folder using the path below, I cannot get to it. When I browse to the folder below using Finder, it is the only folder in the parent that has system only permissions with no user access.

computername:~ User$ find ~/ -name "wzQL.8t0UHS"
    find: /Users/User//Library/Saved Application State/com.adobe.flashplayer.installmanager.savedState: Permission denied

I really don't want to stay up all night working :eek: I would be so grateful if one of you knew how I could retrieve this file.

Thank you

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Winzip is a Windows program for zipping/unzipping files. Do you mean this, or do you mean the built-in OS zip capability; or some other third-party program?

Where is the password zipped file stored? Is the unzipped file not in this location?

3. neophile thread starter macrumors newbie

I have installed the Winzip app for OS X.

The password zipped file is stored in my downloads folder. I have opened it and the document is the original.
    The unzipped file is not in this location. I have done a full 'This Mac' scan for the exact file name, to no avail.

I have since posting been able to get into the com.adobe.flashplayer.installmanager.savedState folder but do not see the folder "wzQL.8t0UHS" that my find ~/ -name "wzQL.8t0UHS" told me was in that location.

In fact I can't see anything in that folder other than a windows.plist file.

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

What happens if you unzip it with OS X's built-in zip?