Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skochan

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2006
California
Why Learn C First?

I've posted in other threads (and also in the intro to my book) my belief that there is no need, and in fact is a mistake, for a new programmer to learn C before Objective-C.

I'm trying to figure out why this path is still being recommended. It doesn't make sense to me to learn the underlying procedural language as a prerequisite to learning the OOP language that is layered on top. I'm wondering if this stems from past practices: programmers who were likely fluent in C then learned how to program in Objective-C, a newer language. Perhaps this became ingrained as the correct path to learn the language.

Just my opinion!

Cheers,

Steve Kochan

MacSheikh

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2009
Singapore
Forget the other thread in community discussion, and forget what I said about CE/EE/CS/WTFBBQ.

I want to start developing kickass iPhone apps and make a fortune on the App Store. I know zilch about programming. Where do I start?

Thanks for the advice above - I'll check out the eBooks and of course the Hill-guy book.

I saw in another thread http://www.cprogramming.com is that a good tutorial to get started with too?

My exact same situation. I just started off on my long journey & after some research decided to go with this path:

(1) Learn C on the Mac
(2) Learn Objective-C on the Mac
(3) Beginning iPhone Development

All are books from APress. I've bought the first two (ebooks) but am halfway through the first one.

Hope this helps. And good luck to both of us on this adventure! :D

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
To help you understand object oriented programming, you should learn java and try the AP Computer Science AB materials from collegeboard.

rev316

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2004
I'd go with either Python or straight to Java.

It's a gentle introduction thats is absolutely necessary!

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
I've posted in other threads (and also in the intro to my book) my belief that there is no need, and in fact is a mistake, for a new programmer to learn C before Objective-C.

I'm trying to figure out why this path is still being recommended. It doesn't make sense to me to learn the underlying procedural language as a prerequisite to learning the OOP language that is layered on top. I'm wondering if this stems from past practices: programmers who were likely fluent in C then learned how to program in Objective-C, a newer language. Perhaps this became ingrained as the correct path to learn the language.

Just my opinion!

Cheers,

Steve Kochan

I have to agree. Objective-C even seems more friendly.... if that makes sense. When I look at Objective-C it doesn't look as intimidating as plain C. Although all programming languages intimidate me :(

I decided to go straight the Objective-C way and am glad I'm not wasting my time learning other languages but instead getting familiar with the one I am going to be using.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.