Where should I begin with Mac???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by heykey4, Feb 7, 2017.

1. heykey4 macrumors newbie

So, at 37 years old I've decided to make the switch to Mac. It's something that I've really been contemplating in the back of my mind for a good many years. I have had an iPhone for five years and love it, I love my iPad, and I've always admired the Macbooks.

But as a PC user wanting to switch, it's not been easy (or maybe I'm making it harder than it needs be).

I'm not sure where to begin my voyage into the Mac computing world. I really, REALLY would like a Macbook Pro, but I struggle internally with purchasing a computer that's about the same price I paid for the car I drive.

I'm willing to try a used one, but from what I read there's no consensus as to whether to it is wise to go that route or not.

Then I think I should try the Mac Mini, the price is great and maybe it can quench the Mac thirst and help decided whether to pull the trigger and get a Macbook, I don't know.

What I want to do is use some of the video editing tools that Mac is known for (iMovie, maybe Final Cut?) I'm not trying to make cinema-quality stuff, but fun videos for kids that I work with.

So, I humbly ask for advice, what would you do in my place? Thanks!

2. chscag macrumors 68000

My advice is to take a look at what Apple has to offer in their on line refurbished store. Apple refurbished machines come with a full one year warranty and Apple Care can be added if you wish. The savings varies, but generally it's at least 10 to 15% off the retail price. You won't be able to tell the difference from a brand new unit out of the box.

Apple on line refurbished store

3. dangerfish macrumors 6502

Try the MacBook Air. They are great computers and can be had very reasonably from the refurb store or from big box retailers like Best Buy (if you are in the US).

4. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

Check out eBay as well, there's some pretty good deals for Macs on there as well.

I got my MacBook Pro 13" Mid-2010 for about $280-300.

A cheap 2011-2012 MBP can be found on eBay, maybe even more recent but I've found MBPs for under 1k with a decent i5/i7 and GPU

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

If you want a decent MacBook Pro WITHOUT paying too much, consider the 2015 models.

They are still in "the active product lineup", and if you shop carefully, you can find them at very good prices.
    (Note: the only way you'll see the 2015's at the Apple online store is to click the "buy" button, and then scroll downwards -- but they're "there").

The 2015 MacBook Pro remains a very nice laptop. I prefer it to the 2016's...

Be aware that the current Mini has been out since 2014.
    I'm a Mini user myself (2012 model), but be aware that the 2014 models are somewhat "hobbled", with a few exceptions.

IF you want a Mini, I advise you to buy AT LEAST the "midrange" model, and ONLY buy one with either a 1tb fusion drive or a "straight SSD" inside. Minis with platter-based hard drives can be excruciatingly slow. With a fusion drive or SSD, FAR more pleasing to use.

Also, DO NOT buy ANY Mini unless it has at least 8gb of RAM.

The best option for the Mini (price v. power) is the "top level" model. It comes with 8gb RAM, a 1tb fusion drive, and the better graphics on the CPU chip.
    A very capable Mac in a compact package.

6. elf69 macrumors 68000

elf69

My first real switch to mac was with a 2009 macbook as they are cheap and still run sierra.

But the pro units are also now of reasonable costs.

It is not such a big deal to change.
    yes few things need get head around but not too bad to learn.

I would have got a newer machine if had funds but love the 2009/2010 macbook.

All depends on your budget really.

At end of day just have fun learning and welcome to mac :)

I now have no windows machines, bar one really old netbook which is used very rarely for one thing only now.

My macbook was under £200 and so was my 20 inch imac.
    If your learning start cheap if your worried you might not like it.

I wish I saved and bought better machine but it does what I want and is used for work 9-5 every weekday and my imac in evenings and weekends.

7. matixryder macrumors member

I switched to MAC like a year ago. It has a few some learning curves here and there, but you will eventually learn in after a day or two. I prefer to use my MAC over Windows machines because it is more user friendly.

8. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Regardless of the model you choose, check out this website, www.macmost.com
    Gary has loads of free videos on every topic imaginable for the Mac and a few new ones every week it seems.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

Also -- plan on keeping your current windows machine up-and-running at least several weeks -after- you start up the Mac.

This way you will have access to BOTH systems during your "transition period".

You may find it easiest to "move things over" a little at a time.
    For example, get your music moved, then work on pics, then movies, etc.

10. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

I'd like to suggest that you look for a Mac that doesn't make you appear "meh". With that I mean getting a Mac that either is second-hand with upgraded internals (from a HDD to a SSD as an example) and also has more than 4GB ram; 8GB is ideal.

I bought an iMac (lamp edition) for a great amount of years ago as my first Mac. At the time PPC was king and the apps available at the time ran fluently. At my current age of 38 and if was a Mac user for the first time I would also spend time figuring out the whole Intel i-range. i5 vs i7 and why i7 is not always the best choice, in a laptop for instance(using more power than an i5 and heats more easily)

Second hand purchases can go more than two ways but perhaps there's some kind soul in your immediate family or group of circles that uses a Mac and possibly has one that suits you needs just to get a feel for macOS Sierra or OS X El Capitan or even OS X Yosemite. You wouldn't want a Mac that operates on a lesser Mac operating system if you feel that you are curious about recent innovations from Apple and enjoy the technologies that iOS and macOS share.

A Mac mini is not a bad choice. If you need a big screen rather than the measly 15 inches that the latest generation. MacBook Pro provides then that's possibly the choice. You'll just have to get a few more things acquired like Keyboard and Mouse if you can't take them from your PC(which is not good choice - see if a Apple Keyboard is available also on the cheap and any old USB mouse) You will spare a lot of swapping your keyboard in to your PC for further explorations.

The Mac mini also has more ports than most Mac laptops. It's on par with the iMac. Newer Mac mini has Thunderbolt and I think some even FireWire(mine did at the time)

I can't talk much about the availability of Mac gear in the United States but I can only assume there's a bigger market for it than in Denmark in Scandinavia.

Craigslist I've hear not great things about. You'd wan't to make sure the previous owner has turned off Find my Mac or he or she can wipe your "new" Mac clean(been there as the person who could wipe a previously owned Mac - ended with positive results) I've now also just assumed that people selling on Craigslist is a bunch of thievery thieves.

11. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Also consider of getting the book Swiching to Mac because it will answer most of your questions!

12. Aenygma22 macrumors newbie

Aenygma22