Where should I buy a domain name?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by ozreth, May 1, 2011.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

So I've got a wordpress blog and am looking to purchase my own domain for it. I read on the wordpress website that if I purchase a domain name through them then I cannot advertise on it.

Now I dont plan on advertising, and if I ever will it wont be for awhile. But this got me thinking that I should possibly look into different hosting options.

Thoughts? Thanks

2. celticpride678

Are you looking for both domain name and hosting? Or just domain name?

If just domain name, go with GoDaddy.com

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

4. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

I suppose just domain name? Wordpress would be the host ya? And is the no ad thing because I'm hosting with wordpress or If I buy my name through wordpress?

5. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Godaddy is popular, because they advertise a lot.

Their web site sucks pretty badly though, they bombard you with upsell messages and they're nowhere near the cheapest.

I have a domain I bought from them, and I'd choose someone else next time.

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I've moved all my domain registrations off GoDaddy and now use NameCheap exclusively for various reasons but mainly because they don't have so much crap on their website and they offer better deals.

7. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

That's the thing about GoDaddy, their website is horrible. It is worse than getting popup ads, which they pretty much are but you can't just close the window.

8. jtara, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011

jtara macrumors 65816

First off, you don't "buy" a domain name, you "register" it. (Unless you are actually purchasing an already-registered domain name, in which case you would be paying the registrant a fee to transfer it to you.)

moniker.com Better customer service than GoDaddy, great features if you need to manage multiple domains: a "professional" domain registrar.

DON'T register a domain name through your web host!

DON'T transfer domain names to your web host!

DON'T let a website designer register a domain name for you!

These are all good ways to lose your domain through either shady practices or negligence on your own part.

Yes, it is often "free" to register through your web host. But it's best to keep your registration at a registrar independent of your web host.

I think you must be mistaken about the bit about not being able to advertise if you register a domain name through Wordpress. Here's what their terms of service say:

And this:

Does Wordpress even do domain registrations? Perhaps you are thinking of a subdomain: e.g. mysite.wordpress.com. Anyway, the "advertising" policy seems based on what kind of account you choose, not anything about domain registration. Makes perfect sense that they wouldn't want bloggers selling advertising space on free blogs, since this is how they make most of their money - selling ad space on your free blog.

Hosting != domain registration.

Sure, search for another hosting option if you don't like the ad policy and/or don't want to upgrade to a paid account. But this really doesn't have anything to do with your domain registration options.

9. Arregaithel macrumors newbie

Well if you are concerned about the good quality and cheap rate domain name then You must go for GoDaddy which is not only best in quality but also cheap than others .

10. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Namecheap is actually cheaper, because they include more 'options' at a lower cost. GoDaddy starts off cheap and then makes you add options like private registration etc, that doubles the price.

Plus, Namecheap's founder didn't camp out and shoot a young female elephant, pretend it was an older male elephant and upload the video on youtube.

11. Consultant, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Godaddy = bottom of the barrel spam fest. Only clueless people who love fugly ad-infested site would recommend it.

I use 1and1.com

----------------------------------
    Update: 1and1 control panel sucks if you got the hosting package and need to make individual adjustments. 1and1 control panel for domain only is tolerable. Might look for different domain host.

12. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

So I went ahead and registered a name with namecheap.com for $10/yr. The site and reviews seem nice enough. Now I've got to pay $12 a year to wordpress to map my blog to the domain name : (

13. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Don't you just love the power of advertising?

Just because GoDaddy say this (and have a pretty girl) in their advertising doesn't make it so.

I wonder where they get to money to pay for all those adverts?

14. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Anybody know if there is a way to get around paying the 12 a year to wordpress for domain mapping? Perhaps I'lll just search for a different blog.

15. frocco macrumors 6502

frocco

I just moved from GoDaddy to Bluehost.

I like them better and their tools seem more organized.