Where Should I Buy From?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Alias, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Alias macrumors member

Hi there,

I have finally decided to convert from a PC or a Macbook. I am looking at buying the MacBook MB063LL/B (2.2ghz) but I am unsure as to where to buy it from for the best deal.

I have checked out ebay but I am afraid that I won't be covered under the 1 year warranty if I were to buy it from there. Other then Ebay I'm thinking amazon.com who is selling it for 1499 with a 100 mail-in-rebate.

Any advice would be awesome!

Thanks!

2. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

3. jhkingsr macrumors regular

I agree about the refurb but you can't beat Amazon for new, standard configurations.

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

This.

5. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

excluding ebay, I've yet to find a online retailer that sells macs for any significant discount. The price is always within $10.

MacMall throws mail-in rebates at you, but I've had it with mail-ins (such a hassle most of the time). Wherever you buy from, make sure that it includes the Leopard OS, otherwise you'll likely be paying for an upgrade after purchase. Amazon.com's 17" MBP say they come with Tiger, last I checked.

If you buy off Ebay - pay special attention to the fine print. A lot of them like to stretch the meaning of "New", "New in box", etc. Some will also charge a ridiculous amount for shipping, returns or won't accept a return at all(this is a major flag for me). Make them confirm that the item is new, and in an unopened box and never registered with Apple (time will have ticked off the warranty).

6. Alias thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the input! I just have one more question

I understand that if I purchase the laptop off ebay, the 1 year warranty might be void, but would I be able to buy applecare for this laptop?

Because I live in Canada as well, amazon.com won't ship the laptop here because I think the 1 year warranty wont carry over to Canada. I think this because when I attempt to check out it says, 'Warranty issues and manufacturer restrictions prevent us from shipping certain products to all geographical locations. You'll be notified while placing your order if we're unable to ship specific items to the address you've selected.' Would I be able to buy applecare on this?

Thank You soo much!