Where should I buy memory

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmorriss, Aug 17, 2013.

1. jmorriss macrumors newbie

I just purchased a refurbished 17" MacBook Pro and I'd like to upgrade the memory from 4 gig to 8. Any recommendations regarding where I should purchas the RAM?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I use Crucial. Run the little app on the site which will correctly identify the right set of chips. Lifetime warranty too.

3. jmorriss thread starter macrumors newbie

4. kensic macrumors 6502

where? anyplace you can find the rams for cheap, (usually online sites such as amazon, tiger direct)

what brand? Crucial & Kingston are pretty popular and reliable.

5. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

6. ColdCase macrumors 68030

DMS has always had top notch burned in RAM for reasonable prices. I've had trouble with OWC RAM, never DMS.

7. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

If ever you are unsure, just hit up OWC.

Otherwise newegg has great selection as well as great discounts as times.

8. Ifti macrumors 68000

I always use Crucial.
    They have a tool on their site where you enter your system CPU speed and year of release etc, and it lists compatible RAM.
    The RAM is also guaranteed to work with your system and has a lifetime warranty.

9. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Only if you want to overpay. 16 GB of their RAM is $168. The price for Crucial RAM of an identical specification and guarantee is $132.

10. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Odd, because the memory I got for my computer when I got it was a great deal. I've also purchased other hardware there, and had great experience with the hardware and service.

Sheesh.
    :rolleyes:

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Same as anything else: from a reputable shop with pricing that suits your budget. I bought mine from Newegg but there are countless options out there.

12. fenjen macrumors 6502

fenjen

Had a lot of random crashes with custom ram the last owner of my Macbook installed. After I installed crucial ram I haven't had a single system crash. So yeah crucial Mac ram is Highly recommended. It's also relatively cheap ^^