Where should I buy RAM?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gsfgf, Jan 8, 2008.

1. gsfgf macrumors member

Everyone always says that I should get RAM from a 3rd party instead of Apple and $500 for 2 more gb seems pretty high, imo. I'm a little wary about doing so, because once I plugged in some ram to a motherboard and it went bang and melted to the board, destroying both the board and RAM. Since these parts were from the same place, I was cool. But now I'm paranoid about ram.

Would Apple (with applecare) cover damage from 3rd party ram? From looking at an applecare contract it seems like they will not. Are there any retailers that would replace all damaged parts, not just the ram I bought from them? If not, I think i'll just fork over the extra 5 bone.

Btw, the 8800 GT is best for games, and worth the extra 2 bone, right? (I know it isn't a gaming system, but it's nice to be able to play the occasional game)

And am i correct that I only need to go 8-core if i do stuff like video? I often work with huge excel files and such, but 4-core's gotta be enough, right?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

- i recommend OWC mac sales or crucial for good 3rd party RAM. its of high quality and im pretty sure it want fry. im also pretty sure that Apple want cover third party RAM but you want have any problems with it. unless you get faulty RAM and get kernel panics. but the seller's should cover this under warranty.

- 512 MB of video RAM in the 8800 GT would be great for gaming. even the ATI in the mac pro would handle some games. im not sure if the 8800 GT would handle some of the newest greatest games like crysis. but it should play most 3D games.

- the mac pro is a beast with 8 cores. it is definitely the best mac for professionals handling large amounts of video editing and encoding. if you really think you need the 8 cores then go for it. 4 cores will be more than enough for word/excel processing and would still be great for video. ive got two cores in my MBP and its great for me. i encode DVDs to mpeg4 in a couple of hours which is awesome.

3. iSavant macrumors regular

4. loiosh macrumors newbie

ramdirect

I've had great experiences with joseph at http://ramdirect.com/

Excellent service, VERY friendly, good pricing, quite accomidating, I cannot recommend a company more.

-Wolf

5. peejack macrumors 6502a

I was thinking I might order from OWC, gonna be alot cheaper than getting it here in the UK. Crucial haven't even got it up yet but 2x2GB is $199 which is about £100 it's £100 for 2x1GB of the old mac pro ram, so I suspect the new stuff will be even more.

6. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

7. peejack macrumors 6502a

I will have to pay 17.5% tax but I still think it's going to work out cheaper? than crucials prices they are charge nearly £200 for the old 2x2GB.