Where should I move?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jknight8907, Apr 14, 2007.

1. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Here in about 7 months, I will be moving out. For various reasons, I'm going to be able to move pretty much anywhere in the states as long as the housing is somewhat affordable. I have friends in SoCal and Washington. Wherever I move will not be cold. I hate cold. :mad: So tell me, where should I move? I'm strongly leaning toward San Diego or somewhere in Florida.

I'll be working as a welder and going to HVAC school, after which I'll be working in that.

Thanks!

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

move to southern california. it's never really all that cold, and summers are not very humid, if at all. the dry summers are the main reason why i stay here. right now it's about 70 degrees at four in the afternoon, cooler than yesterday but still nice out. if you like year-round mild temperatures, there's no better place to be.

3. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Florida is cheaper to live in than Cali. Same hot chix, hot weather (HVAC in high demand!) and even tasty waves now and then. And if you want to get away from the metro madness, lots of wild untamed land to play in. Pay's not as good as Cali, granted, but rent is less than half and real estate is still affordable too.;)

4. Agent Smith macrumors 6502

Agent Smith

With questions like these, I like to consult Lewis Black...

"In a sketch, Lewis Black jealously remarked that the job of a TV meteorologist in San Diego was one of the easiest jobs in the world.

'What’s the weather going to be like, Lou?'

'Nice! … Back to you!'"

:D

(exerpt taken from http://www-tech.mit.edu/V125/N36/weather36.html)

5. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

In southern California you have to deal with earthquakes and mudslides, bad air quality and wildfires, in Florida, you have to deal with hurricanes :(

Is there anywhere that is really safe? hmmm... I don't know, maby Aruba :)

I am starting to hate the cold too. I have waited all winter for Spring and now its fracking cold even now... snow predicted for Monday and tuesday!

Florida is starting to sound really good.

6. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

If you are going into the HVAC business...in So Cal, consider places in the Inland Empire area (roughly from Corona out to Palm Springs and up and down along the 15 too)...It's pretty much a cultural wasteland, but it gets hotter than hell out there. Housing is a little cheaper out there. Don't forget to look into the inland areas of San Diego county too. Stay away from the coastal areas of LA and OC, we probably only use our AC two weeks out of the year.

7. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

If I was considering a move back to CA, it would be to the central costal area, say from Oxnard to San Luis Obispo.

8. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Did you really just utter the words "SoCal" and "affordable housing" in the same post?

9. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

don't move to south florida. it's nearly a big of a mess here as cali. property and insurance are sky high and many natives are being priced out of the area, so they are moving to central or northern florida or just out of the state completely. wages have not competed with the rise of living hike of the past few years, so that's not too good. drivers are the worst i've ever seen, especially the further south you get, and everything is tagged with an extra tax. that goes double for miami, plus in many places, english is a second language and wages are terrible. if you want to live in florida, stay away from the 1-95 corridor south of palm bay area. i heard it's not as bad up there or on the west coast, but especially on the west coast, it tends to get very quiet during summers. and no income tax. look at the space coast or the gulf coast south of tampa if you want the beach.

if you can afford it, i say go to socal. quality of life is a bit better, but not by much, and much of the same problems as south florida.

10. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Maybe Arizona or New Mexico, which are the only states I would consider in USA. I will skip Souther California as it is way over-priced based on my value judgement. If you can get out of the country (I am moving out of the East Coast to overseas in a week), there should be more option. Any place north from NJ will get very cold, which may be a big turn-off for you as you don't like cold weather.

11. Cashmere Fedora macrumors newbie

I love New Mexico. It's a beautiful state with great weather (although, it does have some snow depending on where you live) and the people there are really quite "laid back." Teh food is also superb.

The only downside is that the housing costs have increased quite a bit in the last couple of years :(

Oh, and there are some weirdos in the southeastern quadrant (roswell).

12. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...another vote for New Mexico - it's really nice there are still reasonably affordable. Albuquerque and/or Sante Fe are both great cities, and there is so much to see within a few hours in almost any direction....oh yeah!

13. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Man, having been to Victoria, BC I can't believe you are recommending NM. Victoria is amazing!

14. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

The Houston Housing market is very affordable, compared to the rest of the country.

We have 4 apple stores (if the woodlands is Houston, which it isn't so it's only 3), 5 soon! (well... 3 again, if NASA is houston, which it isn't.)

Lots of HVAC needed here, too. Air conditioners always breaking, ventilation problems, etc. It gets to be like 100° in the shade in the summer, and the climate controlled things always seem to bork out right at that time. You'll make a fortune. :p

15. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

SoCal is a joke. I don't mind visiting down there, but to live there would be terrible. Housing and traffic alone scare me from there.

If you don't want cold, don't move to Washington. Very nice place to live, but it can get cold.

I would suggest Arizona. Nice place and its always warm down there. You can find cheap housing too somewhere in that state. I would also suggest some places in Georgia.