Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
New York
Long story short my girlfriends parents saw my setup and iMac and now they want one.

They want me to do the footwork for them which I don't mind, and I'm curious as to where you guys think the best place to buy it is?

I know Apple.com but what's the deal with macmall? I've never used the site, is it tax free? If so that savings of ~150 might push me to use them, do they charge shipping?

I was going to go refurb for them but apple didn't have any and plus, they upgrade like every 6+ years so I figure eff it, might as well get them the top of the line currently. (not really, looking at the 1699 27" model, they don't need the 2k version).

PorterRocks

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
Idaho
If you're looking for a basic model (any size) then I would go Amazon. If you want a BTO then you've got Apple or MacMall. I've never shopped MacMall before, but I'm fairly certain they do not have sales tax.

Jorojr

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2008
MacMall and MacConnection are my two favorite authorized Apple resalers if you don't need BTO options. They are tax free, but it depends on what state your in (you should be able to check on the website). Free shipping is also included for purchases over $99 or so.

My 13" 2008 Unibody came from MacConnection and my current 13" Air came from MacMall. If you live in a state where Amazon doesn't charge sales tax (unlike myself), you may want to check them out as well.

For the model you are looking at, you can save $50.00 + tax or $133 + tax depending on whether or not her parents like dealing with rebates. The best case scenario, they can save well over $200 vs Apple.com depending on your state tax rate.

Check out the following link for a chart that compares costs between apple and resellers.

http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/

TheUndertow

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011
If you or your girlfriend are college students you are eligible for the Apple Education Discount: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/education_routing

You'll save about $100 bucks and get a free printer. If you can wait about two more weeks they'll throw in a free iPod Touch with the back-to-school special.

Best Buy has the iMacs on sale as well.

They cap out at the "high end" stock configuration (i5) for $100 off.

I was thinking about the iPod sale but maybe the $100 off isn't a bad deal if you don't care about BTO.

Apple online does have Sales Tax as far as I know.

Trying to decide whether I do....

PrincessQuyen

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2011
i purchased mine at best buy for two reasons. 1. interest free for 18 months. 2. i bought the extended warranty with them because i do not live close to any apple store to bring my imac in if there were to be any problems.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
i purchased mine at best buy for two reasons. 1. interest free for 18 months. 2. i bought the extended warranty with them because i do not live close to any apple store to bring my imac in if there were to be any problems.

AppleCare would have still covered you..Best Buy is an authorized repair center so AppleCare would have you take it to there anyway lol.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
If you spring for AppleCare, don't buy that from the retail store that you choose. Get it from Amazon and save some money. Retail-wise, check to see if you're close to a MicroCenter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.