Where should i return my broken ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Mariee, Feb 24, 2010.

  1. Mariee macrumors newbie

    Feb 24, 2010
    Yesterday my Ipod Touch was in my bag as well as a juice box.
    Well apparently something in my bag punctured the juice box and juice got all over my ipod. i dried it out and let it sit for about a day and i just recently tried to charge it. It won't charge or turn on and i guess now i will have to return it.
    My mom bought it at Costco around the Christmas season and I don't know where the receipt is.
    I was wondering if I should return it to Costco or to Apple.
    (you cannot tell that it has been damaged by liquid/ and I have the box and all the accesories)
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    They'll be able to tell what happened quite easily. Save yourself the hassle and buy a new one, or see if it's covered under your family's homeowners' insurance.
  3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

    Oct 9, 2008
    If you are considering an exchange/refund I vote for Costco. If you are going the repair route however, then you should contact Apple.

    Don't be surprised that Apple will likely charge you for the repair once they discover, based on the triggering of the LSI (liquid submersion indicator) markers, that your iPod was doused in juice.
  4. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

    Roy Hobbs

    Apr 29, 2005
    You expect them to give you a new one after you wrecked it??
  5. instaxgirl macrumors 65816


    Mar 11, 2009
    Edinburgh, UK
    If you were going to try to scam anyone Costco would be the one but, sadly, you don't have a receipt so you'll be SOL straight away I'd imagine.

    Also, there'd be a fair chance they'd just send it off to Apple to be repaired anyway where they'd do exactly the same checks as in store. These tests would show that the liquid sensors have been tripped and you won't get an in warranty repair.

    Best you can do is go to Apple and ask how much for a repair.
  6. aross99 macrumors 68000


    Dec 17, 2006
    East Lansing, MI
    I would take it in to an Apple store and let them look at it. If they determine that is isn't caused by a liquid issue, they should replace it. If it turns out to be a liquid issue, you will have to pay for a replacement. You may be able to get a replacement for less then a new one, but it won't be free.

Share This Page