Where Should I Sell My College Textbooks?

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
What site is good? :)

I have a few textbooks that I know I won't need again. So what's a good site to sell them on?

Are ebay and amazon viable places?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
half.com

To be fair, I've never sold stuff online, just bought, 'cause I'm a dirty consumer like that... :p But I love half.com.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
i've been asking that question too. i have been trying to get rid of some of my books for almost 3 years with little luck. i still have most of my college books, and i'm looking for an easy way to do this, so i can be rid of at least most of the books before the end of the calendar year i hope.

iRachel

macrumors 6502a
Your best bet, if you're still on campus, might be to try and sell them to someone who will be taking the class next semester. Hang up some signs if there are bulletin boards listing the books you have and the classes they go with.

If you're not on campus, or don't want to try to sell them locally, I'd try half.com.

Or, see if you can unload them at a local used bookstore. Some places will take textbooks, others won't.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Some campus bookstores also buy back the books if they need them, usually you can get the best prices right before the next term begins. Don't know how the prices compare with trying to sell them yourself, but eliminates the hassle of shipping them, etc.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Some campus bookstores also buy back the books if they need them, usually you can get the best prices right before the next term begins. Don't know how the prices compare with trying to sell them yourself, but eliminates the hassle of shipping them, etc.
My school completely rips you off on buybacks. You buy a brand new $85 book and keep it pristine for the entire semester. You go to sell it, they give you $5, and then sell it for $70. :mad:

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
My school completely rips you off on buybacks.
Almost every school bookstore will do that... Why? Colleges are businesses, too. ;) I usually sell back to my college bookstore, I don't mind too much 'cause then I don't hafta deal w/ shipping and random fees and flaky buyers, plus, I feel good about supporting the bookstore.

smokeyrabbit

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
Escape from New England
I used to stand in the aisle where the book was, wait for someone to look at the book I was selling, and tell them I have a used copy I'd sell them for $5-10 less than the "used" price in the bookstore. Then proceed outside for the transaction. Don't get caught, though..

astarling06

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
Manhattan, KS
When I got to buy textbooks online, I use http://www.bigwords.com to search for the books I need because it pulls up books for sale on several sites i.e. amazon, half.com, barnes and noble, text exchange, etc. I'm not sure if you post it on bigwords that it will automatically post it on all the other sites but it's worth a shot.

iRachel

macrumors 6502a
My school completely rips you off on buybacks. You buy a brand new $85 book and keep it pristine for the entire semester. You go to sell it, they give you $5, and then sell it for $70. :mad:
Yeah, that's pretty much standard. That's why I recommend trying to sell it directly to someone taking the class. You sell it for $40, and you both get a better deal than the bookstore.

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
I know there are a lot of student book swap groups on Facebook :D
but if you can avoid the book store, do so. They rip you off like nothing! bleh.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
Yup. Bought a textbook (used) for $100 once - buy back when I was done with it was $10. Sold it privately for $100 (through the bookstore's online classifieds, no less).

To be fair, usually when this happens it's because the bookstores buy textbooks at the market price (i.e., they could buy them from another bookstore for $10), but that doesn't explain how they can justify turning around and selling it for 10x what they paid for it... :mad:

Jul 1, 2007
Indiana
I've used Abebooks several times and always seem to get great (well, in comparison to Chegg and other websites) prices and quick payment. They are always my first choice, with Chegg a close 2nd.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
I used to stand in the aisle where the book was, wait for someone to look at the book I was selling, and tell them I have a used copy I'd sell them for $5-10 less than the "used" price in the bookstore. Then proceed outside for the transaction. Don't get caught, though..
I've done the same thing. Never been caught though, why do you make it seem like such a bad thing?

sell used books

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
sell books online

Selling your books back online is the only way to go. The college bookstores and brick and mortar are a complete waste of time with their low ball prices. What they count on is that you won't have the patience or desire to take the time to price your books online to get more value. You can easily enter the ISBN# of the books you have to sell http://www.sellusedbooks.com to get a free quote which almost always be more than what you'd get at your bookstore. Another thing to be aware of is that the college bookstores will actually try to take advantage of you and offer less during the peak buyback season because they know most people don't research the current prices and will accept their initial offer. Don't let them get away with these shady tactics. It pays to be smart :)

bookgator

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2012
What site is good? :)

I have a few textbooks that I know I won't need again. So what's a good site to sell them on?

Are ebay and amazon viable places?
There are websites where you can uy and sell textbooks and even swap them with other students who would need them. You don't have to buy textbooks especially if the budget is tight when there are other options around.

Last edited:

bookgator

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2012
it actually happens that's why swapping is sometimes encouraged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.