Where should I set up an ipod touch

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by swgms, Jun 30, 2008.

1. swgms macrumors newbie

I recently purchased my first mac with the educational discount and got the free ipod touch. However, because the mac is customized it is coming in much later then the ipod. The ipod should be in tomorrow of the next day, and was wondering should I just set it up on a windows computer then use it on the mac later? Or just wait.

Also can you use the wifi capabilities right out of the box or do you have to set it up first on a computer.

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

I would wait until you get your new mac. You set it via iTunes.

On the touch, you will need to turn WIFI on and select your network. And if you have security set on your router, you will need to type in the password on the touch.

3. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

If you set it up on your Windows computer, it will sync with your Mac, but you won't be able to update the software on the iPod touch on your Mac without first formatting it to the Mac file system.

If I were you and I was anxious to use it, I would set it up with Windows, and then when the Mac arrives, format it and sync my music again. It's not too long of a process.

4. swgms thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I think I have decided to wait it out, its only like two more days anyway.

But I still have the question of can you use the wifi right out of the box? Like can you charge it up then turn it on and use the wifi? Or do you have to format it first?

Thanks for the replies

5. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

You can uses the wifi straight out of the box. There's actually some battery power right out of the box, so technically you can start using it immediately, although that is not recommended.