Where should photos be saved to?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by J-Maccer, Mar 3, 2010.

1. J-Maccer macrumors newbie

Hi,

I recently created a folder on my MBP desktop and labelled it 'Images'. They are saved as JPEG's and when I open them, they open in 'Preview'.

They can also be opened via iphoto (must click iphoto). How do I consolidate everything? i.e. Where should I move the photos inside 'images' to, so that they do not clutter my desktop and always open in iphoto? and how do I move them there?

Sorry if this seems like a basic question, but I'm new to mac's (and this is my first post!).
    Thanks in advance, J

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

iPhoto is an application to manage your photos, mostly from digital cameras.

iPhoto stores its images/photos inside the iPhoto Library file located in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Pictures / iPhoto / .

Every image you open with iPhoto gets copied there, so the images stored on your Desktop are duplicates.

Where are the images from?

Btw, you can store whatever you want wherever you want inside your Home folder (Macintosh HD / Users / YOU is your Home folder).

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/ - text

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/ - videos

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/ - text

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343-keyboard - shortcuts

3. J-Maccer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. That makes sense- got it! ONE last thing though, with my other apps when i hit the red cross on the top left the app doesn't close, but moves to the dock and runs in the background. this is not the case for iphoto: it quits. How do I change this, so it runs in the background like my other apps/programs.
    Thanks, J

4. J-Maccer thread starter macrumors newbie

oh and in answer to your question, the images are from my digital camera.

5. ooninay macrumors member

For most OS X apps, the red "x" is for closing a window only, and quitting the application is a separate command. I think I read somewhere that the reason some single-window apps--like iPhoto and System Preferences--quit when you close the window, is that since there is no other window that can be open in a single-window app, closing the only possible window is tantamount to no longer wanting to use the app. But I think there's some controversy about whether that's a good assumption and it does make for inconsistency--e.g., iTunes, another single-window app, stays open when you close the window. And as far as I know, you can't change that behaviour, at least not for iPhoto.

6. J-Maccer thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

The difference with iTunes, similar to torrent app behaviour, is that a playlist can still be playing without the window open, so quitting the app on closing the window isn't appropriate in that scenario. With iPhoto, if the window is closed there's nothing you could possibly want it for so why keep it in memory? Actually, the iTunes window close and reopen is very well thought out IMO. Similarly, Safari can still be doing downloads with no browser windows open so it's not appropriate there either.

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

iTunes is not a strictly one-window app, btw. Playlists can be opened in separate windows, as can the store, and there is an equalizer that opens in a separate window as well. It's not really designed for multiple windows to be open regularly, but it's capable of having multiple windows open, and the functionality is not dependent on having a window open (as the post above me describes). Thus, it fits the model.

jW