Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I can't see any reason why you would do this, unless you happen to need to get hold of a combo update or something.

For the most part, just let Software Update do its thing.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Multiple Macs and a download cap?
You'd have to be under pretty stringent download caps not be be able to download patches on a couple of machines.

Anyway, point taken, sometimes you will want to download them on their own. But unless Software Update specifically isn't working for you or isn't practical, for most people it's best just to let it do it itself.

gusious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 2, 2007
Greece
You'd have to be under pretty stringent download caps not be be able to download patches on a couple of machines.

Anyway, point taken, sometimes you will want to download them on their own. But unless Software Update specifically isn't working for you or isn't practical, for most people it's best just to let it do it itself.

And who will you know if SU is working correct?By not crashing your system and not having weird problems?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
And who will you know if SU is working correct?By not crashing your system and not having weird problems?
It pretty much either works or it doesn't.

If you have a problem with an update applied by SU then you can try downloading the DMG from the source already linked in a post above.

SpookyLars

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
Poland

If, after using SU update the system starts to behave strangely, then you know that SU doesn't work properly. This was in my case. Combo update resolve the problem.

neonblue2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2006
Port Pirie, South Australia

Not trying to say you're wrong or anything like that but here's my case.

25GB download cap (afterward slowed to 64kB/s). Four Macs. They're all running Leopard with one dual booting with Tiger. The last OS X update for Leopard was 88MB, so that 352MB plus 67.9MB for 10.4.11. QuickTime is usually 50MB so another 250MB. Then there's the 50MB to 100MB Security Updates so another 250MB to 500MB.

Now I know updates aren't constantly pouring in but they usually come in all at one time. It's especially bad when an Xcode update comes out. That's another 1GB thrown on top.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.