Where should we download from important updates for OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gusious, Sep 9, 2008.

1. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Hi.

I remember seeing somewhere that important updates should be downloaded directly from http://www.apple.com/downloads and not from software update.Is this correct?

Have you heard anything?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I can't see any reason why you would do this, unless you happen to need to get hold of a combo update or something.

For the most part, just let Software Update do its thing.

3. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

I had some problems with the SU, so from that time I use Combo updates. No problems so far.

4. Tosser macrumors 68030

Same here. Combo updates all the way.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Multiple Macs and a download cap?

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You'd have to be under pretty stringent download caps not be be able to download patches on a couple of machines.

Anyway, point taken, sometimes you will want to download them on their own. But unless Software Update specifically isn't working for you or isn't practical, for most people it's best just to let it do it itself.

7. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

And who will you know if SU is working correct?By not crashing your system and not having weird problems?

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It pretty much either works or it doesn't.

If you have a problem with an update applied by SU then you can try downloading the DMG from the source already linked in a post above.

9. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

If, after using SU update the system starts to behave strangely, then you know that SU doesn't work properly. This was in my case. Combo update resolve the problem.

10. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Not trying to say you're wrong or anything like that but here's my case.

25GB download cap (afterward slowed to 64kB/s). Four Macs. They're all running Leopard with one dual booting with Tiger. The last OS X update for Leopard was 88MB, so that 352MB plus 67.9MB for 10.4.11. QuickTime is usually 50MB so another 250MB. Then there's the 50MB to 100MB Security Updates so another 250MB to 500MB.

Now I know updates aren't constantly pouring in but they usually come in all at one time. It's especially bad when an Xcode update comes out. That's another 1GB thrown on top.