Where the ???? are the pictures?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sundance2007, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Sundance2007 macrumors regular

I connected my camera today and uploaded some pictures to my Macbook. the went to iphoto and I looked at them and they are there but where.

I want to do some touch up with Gimp and I can't find them. they are not in the pictures folder so where might I look.

I'll tell you, I'm about ready to give up on this apple, seems like everything you try to do it's like having one hand tied behind your back, not impressed at all.

Steve

2. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

Do a search for them in spotlight. Search for image files modified today.

My guess is /User/%n/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals

3. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

They're in your iPhoto library. You have to select "Show Package Contents" while right-clicking on the iPhoto Library in ~/Pictures to browse photos. You might find it easier to export (i.e. drag and drop) them from iPhoto to Gimp, though, since browsing iPhoto is easier than browsing your library by date.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

they would be in the last import album under "RECENT" or in the first "event" in Events.

dont use the iPhoto library in the Finder to organise your photos as its just asking for problems. ive heard too many stories of people deleting photos in there and wondering why their photos have an exclamation point in iPhoto.

drag the photo from iPhoto to the desktop and open it with Gimp or drag it onto Gimp's dock icon. edit the photo and what not then save it and drag it into iPhoto and either delete the original or keep it as a backup.

this is exactly what iPhoto's editing does but in a much more intuitive manner. its all done within iPhoto. when you click "original" once youve edited the file its just showing you the backup.

5. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Do as richthomas said -- stay out of the finder! Export your photos to the desktop to work on them, or better yet, set gimp as your external editor from within iPhoto preferences. Then when you open a photo to edit, gimp will open, and after you have done your editing and save it, it will be saved back to where it was in iPhoto.

If you do anything to/with your photos in the finder, you are asking for corruption and/or photo loss. Stay out! That is why Apple made the new iPhoto a package -- to keep users from corrupting their libraries. There is NEVER a need to go into the library in finder.

6. Sundance2007 thread starter macrumors regular

OK, great, found them and this is good advice I will use. Just drag the the folder in iPhoto library> Originals to the desktop?

I am having a problem with Gimp. I open it and load a picture. When I grab the photo being displayed to move it, drag it or what every function I am trying to accomplish that involves a left click and hold, the program instantly closes.:(

Also while I have you guys, I see ishot seems to periodically take a commanded screen shot. How do i stop this?

Thanks,

Steve

7. MHardee macrumors newbie

Perhaps Undercover is sending your picture and location on the stolen Mac you are using?

Geez..

8. Sundance2007 thread starter macrumors regular

What ???? are you talking about, are you on drugs????

9. ChrisA macrumors G4

No, follow the advice you got above. Don't use the finder to look inside the iPhoto library. From within iPhoto's File menu do an "export". If you specify gimp as the external editor in iPhoto -> preferences then when you double click an image from within iPhoto it will come up inside gimp and be saved back to iPhoto when you quit gimp. No need to export.

Why does gimp crash? Who knows. what version of gimp? where did you get it? How was it built, with what options? Look on the www.gimp.org web site and find where to subscribe to the gimp user's mailing list. Questions like "why does gimp close?" are best asked there.

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

good tip! thanks! :)

i made this mistake when i first got my Mac. all my photos got an exclamation mark. it was all good as i had a backup. i guess new mac users are just curious and like the windows way of organising photos, not letting an app do it for them.