Where the F did my apps go?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ifandbut, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Ifandbut macrumors newbie

Let me start by saying the New iPad is my first Apple product. I am a tech guy but have only ever really used MS products.

Last night I downloaded a few Fringe episodes via iTunes on my computer. I downloaded them on the computer because my wired internet is much faster then Wi-Fi. While the episodes downloaded I browsed the app store for some games to play on my trip (on the airplain as I type this).

When the Fringe episodes finished I connected the iPad to my computer to start a sync. Sync finished and I packed up the iPad. Much to my surprise a few min ago I wanted to kill a bit of time before the plane boarded and discovered that all the games I had downloaded up and disappeared. I have the Fringe episodes (thankfully) but no games at all.

Could someone with more then 3 days of iPad experience tell me exactly what the F happened?

I never expected a product to delete files for no apparent reason.

Actually I so sorta remember one of the 5 dialog boxes mentioning something about repeating apparently but I thought I answered the box correctly. I was late and I was busy packing. Still I am surprised it even was an option. Maybe someone could explain exactly what I need to to to make this never happen again.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Just find WiFi or 3G (if your iPad is so equipped) and run the App Store. All your purchases will show up for redownload at no cost.

PS as far as I know all the shows purchased from iTunes are DRM protected, the iPad may have to contact home base to allow them to play. I could be wrong about this. Either way enjoy your flight.

3. ethanw macrumors newbie

you must have ticked sync app option
    apple products just sync in one direction, from computer to the apple products, so if you download app on your ipad but not on your computer and not in the itunes library, once you sync, it deletes every thing on your ipad that is not in your itunes lib.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

To be exact, Apps only get deleted when syncing with a computer for the first time. Once an iPad is "paired" with a computer, new apps (and music, video, podcasts, etc) downloaded to the iPad gets transferred to the computer when synced.

In short, if you plan on syncing your iPad with a computer, you should sync first before downloading anything on your iPad

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

How fast is your Internet? The only way I could see you Internet being faster than your Wi-Fi is if you have a 802.11b wireless router.