Where the hell is iPhone OS 3.2?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThatsMeRight, Dec 12, 2009.

1. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

2. dodgers macrumors newbie

What do you want to see in OS 3.2? No point in releasing an update if there are no major improvements.

3. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

I don't know. Something? :p There are enough bugs to fix, and maybe they can add support for iTunes LP etc. Maybe radio?

4. digbyp macrumors regular

v2.2 was available from Nov 2008, so I would guess v3.2 will be Jan-Feb 2010.

I think a general tidy up of features, fix the App updating bug that has arrived (unless that is iTunes), nothing new, as then more fixes and generally prepare the way for iPhone 4 and firmware v4

5. cytoxyn macrumors regular

cytoxyn

I am almost 100% sure that the radio will be in the next generation as a selling point over the 3GS

6. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

In January from this year the released 2.2.1 already. And eh... hell, they can add a lot!

No, I don't think so. Radio is not 'it' any more. It's a nice addition, but a lot of people already think it's "old-fashion" and that it is only nice when you have a car.

Pretty sure there are much 'bigger' things when the 4th. gen. is going to be released (they also have to 'get up' with competition (and vica versa)).

7. dodgers macrumors newbie

That's a nice list, but I'm pretty sure Apple would never add many of those features.

Most of all, I'm hoping for multitasking in 3rd party apps, and an updated interface. The present springboard was designed for only one screen of apps, like on the first iPhone software. It worked fine for that, but when you have 250 apps, not so much. Categories might be a nice solution.

I'd also like to see a notification system in the status bar, like that on the palm pre. Something that alerts you when you get a new email, text, etc. That be nicer than the alert view that pops up in many push notifications - less intrusive, and lets you respond at your own pace, if you're busy with something else.

That's what I want for OS 4.0, and for the phone, it'd be nice to see ARM Cortex A9 (would go well with background processes and multitasking) and a Verizon hybrid CDMA and GSM 4G edition.

The iPhone 3GS does not have a radio. The iPod touch 3G does have an FM transceiver, but that's part of the broadcom 802.11N chipset that it has (the 3GS only has B/G Wifi, and maybe A).

Whether or not there's the required antennae in the iPT3G to enable radio only through software we don't know, but it'd be nice to be able to play music to the car speakers without any external dongles.

8. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

I for one agree. Although 3.1 runs extra smooth. It does still have that syncing playlist problem. Which people say it's iTunes but I didn't have a problem with iTunes 9 when I was on 3.0!
    They also need to fix the battery issue.

iPhone Fw 4.0 will bring radio to the 3gs but not the 3g and 2g.
    Radio will not be a driving feature. It will be kind of like a companion to the iPod. Just like the compass is to the maps. The next gen iPhone new redesign will be it's selling point..

9. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

The iPhone 3Gs is able to play radio. Just not able to transmit it.

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

That is simply not true. The broadcom chipset in the 3GS does indeed include an FM transceiver; currently it's only used for the Nike+iPod functionality, but there is no reason it couldn't be used to enable radio functionality. There have been many seemingly credible rumors that a nano-like radio app is in the works.

11. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

It's not iTunes.

3.1 beta's 1 and 2 were fine. The final release of 3.1 ****ed everything up. :mad:

And I think some things need to be fixed. My phone has been crashing lately out of no where (running 3.1.2, not jailbroken)... I'll be typing a test message and it will freeze for a long period of time, and sometimes won't unfreeze itself until I leave the SMS app and go back into it. This has happened in SMS and Maps, it's getting annoying.

12. nfl46 macrumors 603

I was wondering the SAME thing, OP. Its been OVER 60 days...WTF, Apple, where's 3.2? There's still more you can add!

13. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Very nice list.

14. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

Oh, I see I've put Voice Control twice in the list. Thanks for copying it and paste it over here.

15. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I'm not sure where people get the idea that they are owed a feature upgrade every couple of months. Sure, the OS can always be improved and, sure, Apple has a history of releasing frequent updates...but this sense of entitlement is baffling to me.

16. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

are you saying it has the parts to theoretically play radio, or are you actually busting out some FM tunes?

17. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

Thelatenist explained it like this, and that's what I mean as well:

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

3.2? I'm still waiting for 2.3!

Anyways... I hope 3.2 will be finally good enough to run on an iPhone 3G, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm prepared to keep my iPhone on 2.2.1 forever if I have to.

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I just wish they'd remove some of the restrictions on the OS and in some of the apps. For example, allow us to save files to the phone. Let us be able to denote certain email as spam. Allow people to change themes (basically some of the stuff people JB for).

20. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I don't think access to the filesystem, themes, etc. is likely to be part of a 3.2 update. I wouldn't be surprised if the camera roll eventually evolves to be able to hold saved attachments, etc., but I don't picture that happening until at least 4.0.

21. TimmyDee macrumors member

I would be shocked if the current Apple would ever allow this. On any product. Your only choice is to keep on jailbreaking.

22. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Oh, I didn't say I thought they'd do it. It's just a wish. I was shocked when we didn't have CC&P right off the bat (even though there are a few that find it useless :) ), but at least we finally got that with 3.0.

23. Bungle73 macrumors member

Radio may be considered "old fashioned" where you come from but over here it's still big. I'm sure many people in the UK would welcome a radio in the iPhone.

24. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Wont happen in 3.2, but maybe 4.0 will bring support for 3rd party app multitasking. That's what I'm hoping for.

25. labman macrumors 604

labman

lol

We can Dream but this is Apple so it's unlikely they will do that even in firmware 101 if anything apple seems to getting stricter. :mad: and no reason for FM receiver when apps can feed thousands of stations from all over the world!