Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyvenom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Last year I was on the verge of getting a new mini, but at the last moment a family situation happened that prohibited such a purchase. Now though, I'm back in the market for one. I had to wait for the SF Macworld, nothing on the mini front. Well, now the iMacs got new updates, but it's bupkis on the minis. When is the mini going to get an update? At the very least, they should include an HDMi port. C'mon Apple!

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Actually, I am kind of hoping that Apple will wait a little linger. I don't like what I am seeing of the X3100 so if Apple waits for the Montevina platform to arrive it will get the X4500 which by all accounts is a better GPU. I think it might be too late to switch to Santa Rosa for the mini.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
sooner the better for me ...I sent my last mini back last year and have been using a G3 for web etc and to be honest ... I nEEd it NOW!! ....

so , thinks me

...mini isn't coming anytime soon I give up and go the refurb store ........just missed out on a blackbook for £650uk last night off the refurb store

....not a happy camper !!

bring on the mini :apple: !!!!!!!!!
Dont really care what the aesthetic upgrades are really as long as the CPU gets a bump and the RAM max is increased

would be nice if it looked like a mini Macpro though :p

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Actually, I am kind of hoping that Apple will wait a little linger. I don't like what I am seeing of the X3100 so if Apple waits for the Montevina platform to arrive it will get the X4500 which by all accounts is a better GPU. I think it might be too late to switch to Santa Rosa for the mini.

Even if Apple waits for Montevina, I doubt they will put it in the Mini. The mini always seems to get previous generation platform from what goes into the macbook. I was expecting santa rosa x3100 (fine with me, anything is better than gma590), but now I'm thinking penryn/x3100. But Apple could surprise us, they certainly did with the imac pseudo-montevina jump.

Anyhow, I'm with ya' all, bring it on!

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
I think Apple will be forced to put current technology into the mini, Intel were getting pretty pissed because they still had Woodcrests in the mac pro's until early 2008.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
where the hell is the new mini?

Attachments

• welcome to Hell.jpg
    welcome to Hell.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 54

illidian

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
Last time Apple did updates, they were coming once a week for about a month.

Perhaps the barrage approach will continue with the new iMacs and Mac Minis?

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
They didn't have anything besides woodcrest chips until pretty recently before Apple upgraded them to H-town.

Also, Apple won't use the Nvidia boards.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
I'd love to see a new one come out but I've a bad feeling that the :apple:tv is the replacement. It's like a sitting room pc..

oh I really hope that isn't the case ..I don't own nor do I want to own a TV

Here's hoping TV capability's stay well away from the mini !!!... just update it so it's a capable desktop

come on already

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
well I hope the product gets upgraded. I am going to buy one for torrent use, cd and DVD ripping. It would be lovely if harddisk got a bump up.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Even if Apple waits for Montevina, I doubt they will put it in the Mini. The mini always seems to get previous generation platform from what goes into the macbook.

Yes, exactly. Except for the brief fanfare at its introduction, Apple has always treated the mini as the bastard stepchild of the Mac line. It lagged the rest of the line by at least 9 months in getting Core2Duo, and it's still (!) on the Napa chipset, even as Santa Rosa is about to be replaced.

Steve must hate the mini. Maybe it's because the mini doesn't have a high enough profit margin, or maybe it's just because he knows people are using it with their ugly PC keyboards and monitors, and that drives him nuts.

If a new mini comes out in the next few months (and I hope so, as I'm waiting for one to replace two machines as a consolidated home server), I certainly expect Santa Rosa instead of Montevina. That is, assuming Apple can't still get Napa parts to use. :eek:

If you're expecting Montevina, you're dreaming. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.