Where the hello are the 3rd party button/mic headphones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Jul 22, 2007.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

The stock buds don't fit me, but the button/mic is sweet and it's sorely missed, as I'm currently using the Apple in-ear buds. They fit ok and don't sound too bad, but talking into the bottom of the phone like an electric razor while wearing them is getting old.

I can't believe we're not seeing more companies' offerings in the button/mic headphone department, even if it's just pre-release teasers or pre-orders.

V-Moda says their button/mic enabled Vibe is coming soon, but I test drove the current Vibe Duos and to me they sound like I'm sitting in the back seat of an East L.A. Jeep...far too bassy. I would get them over Shure's upcoming adapter though, which looks like a mini blood pressure monitor attached to a black garden hose. And connecting the Shure adapter to a normal set of buds looks like it would yield about a 20 ft cord.

I wrote to Sennheiser, inquiring about their iPhone plans...no reply. CX300i FTW!

I tried making Frankenphones (soldering other buds to the Apple cord) but I suck at soldering apparently. It didn't work and I ruined a pair of CX300s in the process.

Anyone seen any headphone announcements I might have missed?

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

3. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

They don't stay in my ears. What can I say? It's a common problem with the stock buds. Not to mention they sound like crap compared to even the cheapest in-ear/canal phones.

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Well mine fit perfect, and sound good enough for me...

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is it possible your external ear is shaped differently than the original poster's? :rolleyes:

Someone posted a thread about purchasing rubber in-ear style covers for the iPhone sort of like the Griffin Earjams. Here's the thread...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3945829

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It is possible i have normal ears though ;)

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you offering to donate them to him, then?

8. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

I'm glad they fit you. Ecstatic really. What that has to do with the question I've posed, I have no idea.

9. Okiewan, Jul 22, 2007
    Last edited: May 15, 2013

Okiewan macrumors member

10. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Awesome! Maybe the next reply will suggest soldering some other buds to the Apple cord, or checking out the Shure adapter.

11. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

you've been so helpful to this thread!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm currently using V-modas with my iPod, love the sound, but has anyone noticed the following problem?

At the bottom of the phones, the metal jack is cutting the rubber wiring! $100 for what?!?

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, that posters comments were uncalled for, but so is your attitude. :rolleyes:

What I suggested was not already covered in your post, from what I can tell. Yes, it would be good to see more third party accessories for the iPhone, particularly outside of cases and into things like earphone sets. Duh. Your point is taken. But you might as well continue to try to do something about it now vs. just whine about it.

13. cmkx0001 macrumors newbie

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I use UE IEM’s and have emailed them a couple of times requesting an iPhone cord. Anyone else who uses UE please email them also.

15. Okiewan, Jul 22, 2007
    Last edited: May 15, 2013

Okiewan macrumors member

Isn't there are a rubber grommet where the cable comes out of the jack? No problems with mine. quan ao nu quan lot khe binh sua cho be vay cong so nu chan vay cong so nu album anh

16. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

That (the OP) would be me . . . Ms. Tiny Ear Canals ;)

17. Derald Lary macrumors member

v-moda

I picked up the V-moda for iPhone today at the Austin Apple store. They have telephone answer, ipod down but no click to advance track. The jack worked great.

18. dinkinflicka macrumors newbie

i used this mod to put my $60 sony noise cancelling earbuds on the iphone earjack. they work perfectly, and the instructions are perfect, and simple. iphone earbuds actually bruised my ear.

19. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Based on the old adage, you reap what you sow, I guess my original post was completely and utterly useless, and seemingly unread by many who replied. Let's just pretend I never started this thread at all. If someone wanted to start a *new* thread, with some *new* information about any upcoming button/mic headphones, that would be peachy.

20. SRSound macrumors 6502

Given your attitude, which is completely uncalled for, you would have better luck getting cooperation out of a google search. For now, I suggest trying to be more polite and attempting to phrase your questions in a more direct (yet civil) manner

21. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

V-Moda makes a pair, but V-Moda makes absolute crap.

22. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Umm. You mean like...

Sorry if that wasn't civil enough.

If I've been a bit brash in some of my replies above (and normally I'm not), well, have you looked at this thread? It's about 90% pure regurgitation of my original post, and 5% fluff. Even the post above this one, AFTER I basically said let's just drop the whole thing, contains info I already posted in my OP. Pardon me if I get a little annoyed when it seems like people are only reading the subject line.

*EDIT* I get it now...this is all just the Forum Gods messin' with me for posting this thread on the wrong forum. Should have posted to Accessories! :eek: