Where the programmers go...

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by wickerman1893, Jan 18, 2012.

1. wickerman1893 macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

As I'm finding out I'm not the best programmer but me and my partner have recently drawn up about 4-5 complete app designs and ideas and need a programmer. What are some good websites that programmers go to if they are looking for a job? Besides Craigslist. It would be great if I found one that we could actually meet and we are looking for younger risk takers. I don't know of those attributes could help in a certain site too look at but all the help we can get would be appreciated.

2. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Problem is, most programmers do it in their side time (if iOS development).
    I am one of those programmers who tried to to search boards for some fun projects, but allways got no beans, so I gave up on that, and started making my own idea's..

3. amorya macrumors 6502

Many iOS programmers get jobs with companies that do client work. That way, the programmer is making a salary and not taking the risk, and there are project managers who can do the communicating with the client in order to free up the programmer's time to do programming. That's the situation I'm in: a nice full-time job writing awesome apps, and my boss is the one who handles negotiating with clients.

If you have the finances, you could approach such a company to commission an app. We're talking a 4 or 5 figure sum at least, and a proper business isn't likely to talk to you if you don't have that kind of money available. (There is one exception: if you own some really valuable content, like the rights to a TV show or a famous series of books, you might be able to negotiate a smaller up-front cost and then a percentage of sales. It has to be content that's already famous though!)

At the place I work, there is far more work available than we are able to do, so we can completely pick and choose which clients to take on. Thus, someone who can't offer the finance and who doesn't own content will probably get (politely) shown the door. If the app idea is your only asset, you'll probably want to look into university students or hobbyists.

Amorya

4. amorya macrumors 6502

One more thing: if you are looking for more of a partnership rather than commissioning something, there may be other things you can bring to the table. Are you an awesome graphic artist? If so, you might be able to find a programmer to work with you — designers are really hard to find. Likewise if you've got tons of experience starting small businesses and finding venture capital (and it has to be experience, not just "I think I could do that").

My usual metric for considering a partnership is that an idea is worth a few drinks. A full specification (with wireframes showing the flow between screens, definition of the project scope and where the data comes from, and maybe a bit of artwork) is worth a bit more. If you also have some market research done systematically and written up, an analysis of the competition, an ability to state your unique selling point in a couple of sentences, an appreciation about what sorts of thing are difficult to code, and some ideas for a marketing campaign (including how you'll fund it), you're getting there. If you have all that plus a business plan, evidence that you've already approached the bank and/or some venture capitalists, some thoughts on where you'll get the other people the project needs (designers etc), some form of risk analysis and some thoughts on what happens if the project bombs, now we're talking.

If the app is of the sort of scope where one programmer working three hours a day would take three months to write it, you'd have to show how you'd expend similar effort to make the project a success. Too many people seem to think that their work is done after coming up with an idea (which takes hardly any time and isn't worth that much), maybe spending one evening developing it, and then just letting someone else do the coding and expecting 50% of the profit. I'm not saying you're doing that, but programmers get that kind of offer really frequently, so it makes them quite wary.

5. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger