Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samarasimpson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
OP's stated that the computer is not theirs.

I'd be removing the logic board and inspecting it. If there's no traces of coffee anywhere on the board, then I usually let them go, no trace means no contact so the part should be fine. Coffee does leave a residue even when dried, so it should be easy to spot. Look at the inside of the bottom case too, any imprints left on it can be compared to the equivalent spots on the logic board to help trace any patches where the coffee has come in contact with the board.

Coffee in a keyboard (or Top Case as the official term) can cause a no-power situation, so you could possibly attempt to disconnect the keyboard ribbon cable and use the power-on pads on the logic board to start it. If the machine does start and run using this method, then it's just the top case that needs to be replaced, which is significantly cheaper.

The power-on pads vary depending on model, and the information is usually only disclosed in service manuals provided to Apple Authorised Service Providers, but you may have some luck searching for the year and model of the machine (plus "power on pads" or something of the sort) on Google. Failing that, it may be worth finding someone in-the-know to assist.

I've resurrected machines for customers that have had coffee spilled in them with only a Top Case replacement so not all hope is lost, but as a general rule of thumb if the liquid has touched the board it's probably time to start thinking about replacements.

Thank you! I'll look into it. =]

samarasimpson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
iMacC2D- You Are truly an amazing person. I've managed to find a keyboard only (without the topcase) and that replacement has it in full working order. My friend returns next week. The fix ends up costing a whopping 50 bucks. :D

Again. Many Thanks!

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
I spilled coffee on my 2006 MBP last year. Immediately shut it off, yada yada yada. I took it to a certified tech who replaced the keyboard and cleaned out the inside. I think it was $150 total for the repair.
I'd suggest getting the inside cleaned out also, especially since a caramel-machiato has a super high sugar content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.